Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PostgreSQL error: unsupported startup parameter

Hi all,

when trying out Power BI for the first time and attempting to connect to a PostgreSQL 12.7 database using ssl I encountered the following error, for which I can find no explanation / reference. Note that I have installed the certificate for the db server into my trusted certificates and am not running into any issues there (anymore).

The error message is: "PostgreSQL: 08P01: unsupported startup parameter: ssl_renegotiation_limit"

Apparently, ssl_renegotiation_limit is a deprecated connection parameter which is not supported anymore in decently recent PostgreSQL versions. It appears that the Power BI client is trying to use it for some reason.

I am using Power BI Version 2.96.701.0 64-bit (August 2021) on a Microsoft Surface 4.

Comments
v-yingjl
Community Support

Hi @lukasstreitb24 ,

Could not reproduce it in my side as far as my test.

You can refer this simliar issue:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Connector-Postgre-SQL-DATABASE/m-p/195104 

In addition, when you connect to PostgresSQL in Power BI Desktop, you can use Fiddler to track more information about this issue.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

lukasstreitb24
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-yingjl ,

thanks for getting back to me so soon.

The thread you referred to appears to be from a time when we had to install Npgsql ourselves to get a PostgreSQL connection going in PowerBI. Today, this ships out of the box so this feels different to me. Is there any way to check, which software Power BI is using "under the hood" to connect to PostgreSQL? Maybe something went wrong there and Power BI is using something outdated?

I installed Fiddler and tried to capture communication between Power BI and the database but only had a number of calls to services.visualstudio.com show up. Any advice on how to track the database traffic?

Thanks and best regards
Lukas

v-yingjl
Community Support

Hi @lukasstreitb24 ,

I have found that this parameter had been deprecated in 9.4 version of PostgresSQL DB.

"Is there any way to check, which software Power BI is using "under the hood" to connect to PostgreSQL? Maybe something went wrong there and Power BI is using something outdated?"

Power BI uses built-in connetor as your mentioned to connect to PostgresSQL directly. Since I could not reproduce it in my side and it works fine in my side(I have tested 11, 12, 13 versions of PostgresSQL)so not certain whether there is some issue with this connector.

If this connector not works, you can try different ways to connect to PostgresSQL DB, refer this article:

PostgreSQL To Power BI: 3 Best Ways To Connect 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

lukasstreitb24
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-yingjl ,

thanks again for the quick response.

Yes, I also found that this parameter has long since been deprecated but I was not able to figure out which party is trying to use it. After internal debugging it appears that this issue is coupled with DigitalOcean's PgBouncer pooling. I attempted connecting directly to the database, skipping the pool, and this did indeed work out.

For an initial proof of concept with Power BI, this suffices. If we're going forward with an overall rollout, we will still need a fix for this. To my understanding, the issue does lie with DigitalOcean though.

Best

Lukas

klebsock

All - I'm having a simliar situation but perhaps slightly different.  We are trying to use an Aurora RDS Postgres proxy endpoint data connection from the Power BI premium service.  We are using a Windows Server with Power BI Data Gateway installed for this connection along with Npsql.  We can connect using the cluster endpoint of Aurora without a problem but when using the RDS Proxy we get the following error.

Error:  

Details: cs-datagateway-dev: PostgreSQL: 0A000: Feature not supported: RDS Proxy currently doesn’t support the option ssl_renegotiation_limit. Please have this information handy if you choose to create a support ticket. ActivityId: 4d2a7ef8-2271-48df-a8b4-6c0f7560e267 RequestId: 3e8488d8-603c-4a7e-b9e7-9300e1ca8f5b Cluster URI: https://api.powerbi.com Status code: 400 Time: Tue Jul 11 2023 07:57:31 GMT-0600 (Mountain Daylight Time)

Versions in play:  4.0.10

Data Gateway: 3000.154.3 (December 2022)

AWS Windows Machine: Windows Server 2019 DC Edition

klebsock_2-1689175410970.png

Thanks,

Kip