Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Folder permissions On-Premise gateway not working in dataflows

Folder permissions defined in the on-premise gateway stopped working yesterday (August 23rd)
I am migrating all content between tenants - and dataflows that have been working for more than two years, all have the same issue in both tenants.  Dataflows still refresh, but show issues when editing (invalid or missing credentials)

Simultanuously the gateway settings on dataflows seem to be moved elsewhere

Karl_EBO_0-1661332221594.png

The occurs when multiple files are referenced in the same folder

In this case the first one "Servers" is working, using folder permissions
The second is not working (anymore) but it is in the same folder - it is not working because it uses the same connection

This must be a bug that has been introduced 

Karl_EBO_1-1661332517659.png

When trying to connect it finds the folder permissions, but the connect does not work

Karl_EBO_2-1661332828463.png

Editing the connection with the correct user/pwd also does not seem to store the input, and there is no way to make it work again

However, a workaround is possible, when adding File type permissions to the gateway
It sees this as a different connection, and this can also be used once in that dataflow

This workaround of course makes no sense - if there are folder permissions, you would not need file permissions on top
Also these dataflows have been running for years - I have only seen this issue appear since yesterday

Any solution available?   

Hi @Anonymous ,

We have reported your issue and have submitted to internal icm  317350811 , engineers are doing their best to fix this issue . please be patient and I will give you feedback here once there is any progress.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

I found a second workaround

Karl_EBO_0-1661345827871.png

It allows me to use the connection multiple times in the same dataflow, when I navigate in the folder, and select the file from there

However, it is not feasable to adjust this on all existing dataflows
And it clearly proves this is bug that was introduced

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

Hi @Anonymous ,

We have reported your issue and have submitted to internal icm  317350811 , engineers are doing their best to fix this issue . please be patient and I will give you feedback here once there is any progress.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

kevingauv
Advocate II
DataInsights
Super User

I redesigned my dataflows to import one file per dataflow, and then used linked entities in my main dataflow. This allows me to continue using one gateway data source (folder connector) instead of creating one gateway data source for each file. One advantage of fragmenting dataflows is more precise scheduling of refreshes. It seems the workaround consists of fragmenting either your gateway data source or your dataflow.

Anonymous
Not applicable

As I need to move on with the migration, I created a function to fetch the filenames I want in the folder, and then also a function to go fetch the content through folder navigation.  This allows me to fetch the content of all the files I want in the same dataflow.  Added advantage is that the filenames can now be dynamic (e.g. containing the creation date in the filename) so I no longer need any scripts to modify the filenames upfront

bjorn99_
Frequent Visitor

It seems we are experiencing the same problem but rather with an URL to an API than folder locations.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Invalid-credentials-when-editing-a-dataflow-in-the-PBI-servi...