Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Power Query deletes comments

Using Power BI desktop, if there are comments made in the advanced query editor, and the user deletes a step adjacent to those comments (above or below), the comments are removed as well. Comments should not be removed since they're not connected to the step and may contain important information.

Hi @JoshT ,

From my test results, this should be a design problem, for example, I added a comment here:

vmengzhumsft_0-1667376837949.png

we can see in the step, "changed type" a step on the right side of the comment logo,

vmengzhumsft_1-1667376876944.png

that is, this is attributed together, then you will remove this step, will also remove the comment.
My suggestion is to put the comment before all the steps, as much as possible.

If you have the necessary requirements for this, you can submit your ideas here Ideas (powerbi.com)

It is a place for customers provide feedback about Microsoft Office products . What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Best regards,

Community Support Team Selina zhu

Comments
v-mengzhu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @JoshT ,

I do the testing:

1 add comments:

vmengzhumsft_0-1667284034282.png

2 delete the below steps:

vmengzhumsft_1-1667284121432.png

The comments I added are still there.

Do youhave the same steps as me? What version of power bi desktop do you have?

Best regards,

JoshT
Advocate II

Thanks for looking into this @v-mengzhu-msft.

Apologies, I meant to say when the step is deleted in the Power Query UI. Repro steps are:

Create comment (I've done it before and after the last step in the query, not sure if it matters if there's other subsequent steps):

JoshT_3-1667293260230.png

Click Done and then delete last step in UI:

JoshT_1-1667293190307.png

Open advanced editor again, comments both before and after have been deleted:

JoshT_4-1667293324513.png

I'm on version 2.110.805.0 64-bit of PBI desktop.

v-mengzhu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @JoshT ,

From my test results, this should be a design problem, for example, I added a comment here:

vmengzhumsft_0-1667376837949.png

we can see in the step, "changed type" a step on the right side of the comment logo,

vmengzhumsft_1-1667376876944.png

that is, this is attributed together, then you will remove this step, will also remove the comment.
My suggestion is to put the comment before all the steps, as much as possible.

If you have the necessary requirements for this, you can submit your ideas here Ideas (powerbi.com)

It is a place for customers provide feedback about Microsoft Office products . What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Best regards,

JoshT
Advocate II

thanks @v-mengzhu-msft, that makes sense. I certainly agree it's a design issue - I don't know of any other IDE that couples comments to lines of code like this. It's a particular problem if you're e.g. commenting out lines of code to experiment (something all developers need to do from time to time), it means you could lose substantial amounts of code unintentionally. If it were my call I'd say this is definitely a bug but appreciate there may be more pressing stuff for the product team.

I'll post on ideas, but it's a bit of a graveyard for stuff like this so I don't anticipate any change on this any time soon