Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Asynchronous refresh with the PBI API does not return a requestid

Hello,

I try to refresh a Power BI dataset programmatically by sending post request to PBI API endpoint: datasets/<datasetid>/refreshes.

The documentation (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/asynchronous-refresh) states: The response also includes a location response-header field to point the caller to the refresh operation that was just created/accepted. Location is that of the new resource which was created by the request, which includes the refreshId.

I used following Powershell code to refresh the dataset, but I don't receive a Location header. Is this a bug or expected behaviour?

Login-PowerBI
$XmlaQuery = @"
{
  "refresh": {
    "type": "full",
    "objects": [
      {
        "database": "<Datamodel>",
        "table": "<Table>"
      }
    ]
  }
}
"@

# URL is a relative or absolute URL of the Power BI entity to access. 
Invoke-PowerBIRestMethod -Url 'datasets/<datasetid>/refreshes' -Method Post -Body $XmlaQuery 

Hi @Anonymous 

I’ve tested on this API. As you can see, I run this API with Post request method and get Location and RequestId contained in Response Header.

vcazhengmsft_0-1643618090108.png

vcazhengmsft_2-1643618132055.png

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Comments
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @Anonymous 

I’ve tested on this API. As you can see, I run this API with Post request method and get Location and RequestId contained in Response Header.

vcazhengmsft_0-1643618090108.png

vcazhengmsft_2-1643618132055.png

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-cazheng-msft ,

So I debugged this issue and came to the following conclusions:

- When passing no parameters in the body to POST /refreshes the entire dataset gets refreshed, but no Location is returned. Also when I send a request to GET /refreshes/RequestId including the RequestId returned by POST /refreshes, I receive an error: 

{"error":{"code":"MethodNotAllowed","message":"Operation failed - Refresh details unavailable. Dataset ID ... Refresh ID ... RefreshType is ViaApi."}}

This indicates that passing no parameters to POST /refreshes does not initiate an asynchronous refresh, since a GET /refreshes should then return refreshType = 'ReliableProcessing' but now returns refreshType = 'ViaApi'. 

- When passing parameters in the body to POST /refreshes I do now receive a valid Location and RequestId, when passing them to GET /refreshes I receive a message including RefreshType = 'ReliableProcessing'.

Could you please investigate the issue and get back to me

Kind regards,

shy78

I am having same issue, I use the azure Logic App to trigger the POST refresh with parameters, but is not getting the location and requestId value in the response header

shy78_0-1666854232185.png

Can anyone help on this? Thanks in advance 

Kinda Regards,

rajulshah
Super User

Hello @Anonymous ,

Did you get the solution to this issue?

I am getting the same error.

Stefan-O
Regular Visitor

@v-cazheng-msft @Anonymous I am having the same issue when triggering a POST from Azure data factory. The RequestID in the ADF response does not match what's in PBI in the screenshots 

StefanO_0-1678760945713.png

StefanO_1-1678761048818.png

StefanO_2-1678761070542.png