Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Several Users Cannot Get Past Loading Data Step on PowerBI Desktop

I have a few users who recently started with PowerBI Desktop (I am not a PowerBI user myself) who cannot get any data to load. I logged onto their machines myself and uninstalled the software and reinstalled it, making sure to install the latest version - 2.100.1182.0 64-bit (December 2021).

Opening a new PowerBI session and trying to load even an extremely simple CSV file saved locally to the machine allows you to preview the records in the CSV without issue:

PBIStep1.png

After starting the load process, though, the program hangs.

PBIStep2.png

Over on the right in the area I highlighted, it appears that it's trying to identify the fields in the file, which seems strange to me since it did so successfully on the previous page in order to preview the data. This process never ever completes, even if left overnight.

To allow users to run jobs without tying up their primary workstations this is installed on virtualized workstations. We have PowerBI running on other VMs successfully but these newest ones will not work. The VMs were all created from the same template and there are no functional differences between them apart from IP Address and Hostname. The VMs are running Server 2012 R2. I have already cleared the cache as well as uninstalling the software and installing the latest version. So far, I have not found any potential causes for this issue to try and would appreciate any feedback or advice.

It seems not a known issue in Power BI Desktop as far as I know. If previous version not works and this issue is urgernt for you, suggest that you can consider creating a support ticket here for further fast help.

vyingjl_0-1642386553116.gif

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

Comments
v-yingjl
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

" it appears that it's trying to identify the fields in the file, which seems strange to me since it did so successfully on the previous page in order to preview the data."

When preview the data in the navigator page, data would not load into Power BI Desktop until click 'Load' and after completing 'Loading models' step, the specific table and its field would show on the 'Fields' pane.

If this progress hangs for a long time, you can try to use the previous version of Power BI Desktop to check whether it works.

Best Regards,

alexgallegos

Thank you @v-yingjl !

Is this a known issue and if so, do you have a recommendation for which version to utilize? I uninstalled the previous version and then put in 2.97.725.0 (September Update). That got stuck one step earlier, at "Creating Connections to Model" instead.

I then uninstalled that version and added 2.96.701.0 (August Update) which is doing the same thing as the December update, stopping at Loading Data to Model.

I'd prefer not to keep trying them one by one if there's a known version that takes care of the issue.

Thanks!

v-yingjl
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

It seems not a known issue in Power BI Desktop as far as I know. If previous version not works and this issue is urgernt for you, suggest that you can consider creating a support ticket here for further fast help.

vyingjl_0-1642386553116.gif

Best Regards,