Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SQL Connection - "0 - The certificate chain was issued by an authority that is not trusted."

Following update to "Version: 2.126.927.0 64-bit (February 2024)" I can now nolonger connect to a particular slq server.

Microsoft SQL: A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: SSL Provider, error: 0 - The certificate chain was issued by an authority that is not trusted.)

This is not my server and it does not support encryption.  Until now I have been able to turn off encryption and have not had any SQL Certificate Chain errors.

I can still connect with the same settings via SSMS.  I don't think I can try things like trustcertificate in the connection string with PowerBI.

Has anyone a solution to this or any reports that this is a bug to be addressed would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Craig

Hi all,

We have seen on the internal platform that other engineers have reported this issue and submitted it.
The engineers on the product team are now aware and will do their best to resolve the issue. I will update here if there is any progress, so please be patient.

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

Comments
craigchamberlai
Advocate I

Still a problem so far as I know. Env variable and config file ideas did nothing.  Had to backdate by powerbi desktop and gateway versions for now and hope next version sorts it.

elio-douglas
Regular Visitor

Hi @craigchamberlai 

Thank you for sharing. Unfortunately, I'm in part of a set of users and I'm not admin of the server.

Did you say that to "fix" scheduled refreshes in PBI Service you had to downgrade the Data Gateway version?

craigchamberlai
Advocate I

Yes @elio-douglas unfortunatley the other suggestions didn't work for me but might be worth it for you.  I was thinking about trying to proxy the sql server, kind of make my own "man in the middle" so I could add a certificate and set up properly but went with rolling back the version for now.  I feel like it's likely to be addressed in future versions but who knows.  There is no excuse for rocking a SQL server without a cert.

UOLandrewdale
Advocate II

hi @craigchamberlai 

have you used the March 2024 release and does it fix the issue?

regards

Andrew

craigchamberlai
Advocate I

@UOLandrewdale not tried waiting a few versions or confirmation from others.  Happy with old version for now.

Matt_Swan
Regular Visitor

@UOLandrewdale   Yes, just tried the new March version (Version: 2.127.1080.0 64-bit (March 2024))  and it doesnt appear to be fixed, and Im getting the same error.

rcpbi
Frequent Visitor

I also tried the March version and I'm still getting the same error.  I reverted back to the December release which allowed an unencrypted connection.

Matt_Swan
Regular Visitor

Have reveived an update to Version: 2.127.1327.0 64-bit (March 2024), and still getting same error

Is there any news, since it was 'Accepted' as an issue on 20th Feb?

Jon3sy
Helper I

We rolled our version back to December 2023 to resolve the issue so we could run our reports. Not sure I will want to update versions in the future if this does not get resolved.

Matt_Swan
Regular Visitor

Now on second April update - 

Version: 2.128.952.0 64-bit (April 2024)

and its still the same, whether its refreshing existing data within a report or creating new report.  I'm unable to access any data because of this certificate issue.