Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI Report refrershes failing with Timeout Error using Data Gateway.

Power BI Report refrershes failing with Timeout Error using Data Gateway from 31st Dec. we are currently running on November 2023 update (3000.198.17).

Error Messages We are gettin on different datasets on different Data sources, not any particular datasource or dataset. This similar issue we have faced in starting 1st Week of Dec 2023 also that time we have upgraded the Gateway version and the issue was gone for couple of week now again it has started from 31st Dec.  Microsoft Article says it support Gatewya for last 6 release. For a Large enterprise runnig large scale data refresh and power bi environment if this kind of issue happens very frequently there is a problem/bug with the service release for Power BI service that needs to be fixed ASAP. As we are running it enterprise wide there should be a minimal time or support for the gateway as it is very difficult to updated anything on a daily basis espacially during the Holidays where you have to deal with change freeze. and this this refresh issue happens for critical reports.

{"error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_MashupDataAccessError","pbi.error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_MashupDataAccessError","parameters":{},"details":[{"code":"DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingErrorCode","detail":{"type":1,"value":"-2147467259"}},{"code":"DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingErrorMessage","detail":{"type":1,"value":"Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation."}},{"code":"DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingHResult","detail":{"type":1,"value":"-2147467259"}},{"code":"Microsoft.Data.Mashup.HostingError.Reason","detail":{"type":1,"value":"Timeout"}}],"exceptionCulprit":1}}}

{"error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_MashupDataAccessError","pbi.error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_MashupDataAccessError","parameters":{},"details":[{"code":"DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingErrorCode","detail":{"type":1,"value":"-2147467259"}},{"code":"DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingErrorMessage","detail":{"type":1,"value":"Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation."}},{"code":"DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingHResult","detail":{"type":1,"value":"-2147467259"}},{"code":"Microsoft.Data.Mashup.HostingError.Reason","detail":{"type":1,"value":"Timeout"}}],"exceptionCulprit":1}}}

Hi @rjones ,

Thank you for sharing, for other users with similar experiences you can check the comments below.

Best regards.
Community Support Team_ Caitlyn

Comments
rjones
Frequent Visitor

I'm keeping an eye on this thread before I upgrade the gateway. The Nov upgrade caused a bunch of problems including c-suit negative attention.  I don't see anyone else complaining yet about this latest upgrade except this one. If you have any updates or figured out it wasn't the gateway upgrade please let us know here. 

sushovan93
Frequent Visitor

I'm working with the MS support. will keep you posted how it turned out.

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @sushovan93 ,

It would be great if you continue to share in this issue to help others with similar problems after you know the root cause or solution.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

rjones
Frequent Visitor

To anyone who is watching this thread, I went ahead and upgraded the gateway. I saw no problems. I opened both small and large reports. I refreshed both large and small reports/models. All were successful and I see no issues. Good luck

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @rjones ,

Thank you for sharing, for other users with similar experiences you can check the comments below.

Best regards.
Community Support Team_ Caitlyn

dtjdtj
Advocate I

Hello,

Do you know what's the root cause? Is there any 'known issue' with 3000.198.17 gateway version?

Thanks.

sushovan93
Frequent Visitor

Initially we thought issue was related to some networks firewall rules running on the background for One of the Gateway server.

We have 2 server cluster Gateway and in one of them the netwok traffic rule was blocking the outbound traffic on port 80. and that was causing the issue. we worked with our Network team to remove the rule. after that for few days the Gateway worked fine.
BUt again from 9th Jan it's having similar refresh issue. and we checked with netwok team again and they dont see any blocks from firewall.

We are really clueless what is causing this issue. any idea information would be highly appriciated.