Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PBI add-on crashing Powerpoint in presentation mode

I've been very happy overall with the PBI add-on for Powerpoint, but only started using it last week. I have a presentation set up with a PBI report on multiple slides (the filter is different on each slide).  I just now tried running Powerpoint in presentation mode, and after about 10 of the slides, PPT started crashing. I would reopen and get through another 1 or 2 slides and it would crash again.

I know a short-term fix would be to change all the reports to static images when using presentation mode, but if there are any known issues or fixes now, I would appreciate it!

I'm on a Macbook Pro 2019 running Monterey 12.3.1

Hi @LSnoorah,

May I know whether you see any error message when the add-in crashes?  If you try to load it again, will you still get this issue? If you reduce the slider numbers, will this issue be removed?

Power BI add-in for PowerPoint - Admin info - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Troubleshoot the Power BI add-in for PowerPoint - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Comments
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @LSnoorah,

May I know whether you see any error message when the add-in crashes?  If you try to load it again, will you still get this issue? If you reduce the slider numbers, will this issue be removed?

Power BI add-in for PowerPoint - Admin info - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Troubleshoot the Power BI add-in for PowerPoint - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

LSnoorah

Hi @v-cazheng-msft ,

Thanks for the reply! I did not get a specific error message, just the standard "powerpoint encountered a problem" message. Once it crashed the first time, then it kept crashing every few slides after that. 

Two things I forgot to mention: 1) On multiple slides, the report hangs on loading and doesn't load until I right-click and hit "reload" 2) The crashing happened while I was sharing the presentation via Teams

TIA for any help you can provide.

mp2006
Frequent Visitor

I experience a similar crashing or freezing problem.  When I open the Powerpoint file and start the presentation, it will crash.  It may present a slide or two before crashing   I have the presentation set up to run in kiosk mode and 7 to 15 second slide transitions.
If I click on each slide in the slide list prior to running the presentation, it does not crash when I start presentation mode.  The presentation will loop continuously without a problem.  The process of clicking on each slide appears to perform a refresh/loading process that solves the problem?   If I close and open the file, the crashing will occur until I refresh/load each slide.  
I observed the same situation with two different files.

LSnoorah

@mp2006 thanks for the reply. I'll give that a try next time and see if it helps.

msaville
Frequent Visitor

Hi @LSnoorah 

Did you find a fix for this that allowed you to switch between slides yourself?

mp2006
Frequent Visitor

I have not investigated this recently.   I have the presentations running fine on other machines, so haven't had the need to run it on mine.