Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PBI_X64 error - July 2017 error opening (We weren't abble to connect to the model)

Hi to all,

I just installed the latest version of PBI X64 (2.48.4792.481) and when I open the PBI it returns an error "We weeren't able to connect to the model."

Error occurs opening the PBI normally or opening a existig PBIX file.

error.png

Workaround was to install previous version, from 21/06/2017.

Regards

MFelix

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@MFelix

Are you able to launch the latest 32 bit July 2017 version?

And do you have lavasoft or McAfee on your machine? If yes, please uninstall lavasoft dlls with the instructions below. Please follow both Step 1 & 2.

Step 1: Uninstall Lavasoft Web Companion http://www.lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/support/supportcenter/technicalproblems/faqs/how-to-uninstall-ada...

Step 2: Uninstall the LavasoftTcpService.dll after uninstalling Web Companion, please:
a. Start Command Prompt as an administrator by right-clicking it and selecting "Run as administrator."
b. Enter the this command to reset the network adapter: "netsh winsock reset" without the quotation marks and hit Enter.
c. Restart the computer.
d. Delete these two files: C:\WINDOWS\system32\LavasoftTcpService64.dll C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\LavasoftTcpService.dll
That should allow you to delete the file successfully.

If you still have such issue, You can completely uninstall all the Power BI files on your machine. Then create a new OS user profile. Log in and download the latest version of Power BI x64 to run it. Then try to log into your regular OS user profile to see if issue can be resolved.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

MFelix
Super User

Hi @v-haibl-msft,

This is my work laptop and I'm not abble to do all the configuration changes.

I have McAfee but don't have lavasoft, I run the 32bit version and it's giving the same error. Cannot take any further details since the error message is only the one presented in my print screen above.

Regards,

MFelix

poujor
Regular Visitor

I have been fighting with the July 2017 update too.

I have tried to do allel of the suggestions from:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-error-launching-desktop/

and another suggestion I found:

a. Start Command Prompt as an administrator by right-clicking it and selecting "Run as administrator."
b. Enter the this command to reset the network adapter: "netsh winsock reset" without the quotation marks and hit Enter.
c. Restart the computer.

Niether works. On app.powerbi.com I have removed all Data Gateway configurations too.

Uninstalling and installing June 2017 is with no problems and working, but I would so much like to be able to try out the news in July 2017.

I even installed a Fresh Windows 10 Enterprise (1703) 64 bit in a VM. Here i get the exact same issues.

I have found some entires in Application and Kernel trace, that might give some hints?

[
    {
        "MachineName":  "Win10-PowerBI",
        "Data":  [

],
        "Index":  407,
        "Category":  "(289)",
        "CategoryNumber":  289,
        "EventID":  18939929,
        "EntryType":  1,
        "Message":  "The description for Event ID \u0027-1054801895\u0027 in Source \u0027MSOLAP$AnalysisServicesWorkspace1572025109\u0027 cannot be found.  The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display the message, or you may not have permission to access them.  The following information is part of the event:\u0027msmdsrvi.rll\u0027, \u00278192\u0027",
        "Source":  "MSOLAP$AnalysisServicesWorkspace1572025109",
        "ReplacementStrings":  [
                                   "msmdsrvi.rll",
                                   "8192"
                               ],
        "InstanceId":  3240165401,
        "TimeGenerated":  "\/Date(1499357611000)\/",
        "TimeWritten":  "\/Date(1499357611000)\/",
        "UserName":  null,
        "Site":  null,
        "Container":  null
    },
    {

],
        "Index":  406,
        "Category":  "(289)",
        "CategoryNumber":  289,
        "EventID":  18939929,
        "Message":  "The description for Event ID \u0027-1054801895\u0027 in Source \u0027MSOLAP$AnalysisServicesWorkspace1572025109\u0027 cannot be found.  The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display the message, or you may not have permission to access them.  The following information is part of the event:\u0027msmdsrvi.rll\u0027, \u00278192\u0027",
                                   "msmdsrvi.rll",
                                   "8192"
                               ],
        "InstanceId":  3240165401,
        "TimeGenerated":  "\/Date(1499357611000)\/",
        "TimeWritten":  "\/Date(1499357611000)\/",
    },
    {

],
        "Index":  399,
        "Category":  "(294)",
        "CategoryNumber":  294,
        "EventID":  19267595,
        "Message":  "The description for Event ID \u0027-1054474229\u0027 in Source \u0027MSOLAP$AnalysisServicesWorkspace1572025109\u0027 cannot be found.  The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display the message, or you may not have permission to access them.  The following information is part of the event:\u0027\u0027",
                                   ""
                               ],
        "InstanceId":  3240493067,
        "TimeGenerated":  "\/Date(1499357607000)\/",
        "TimeWritten":  "\/Date(1499357607000)\/",
    },
    {
        "Id":  2,
        "Version":  0,
        "Qualifiers":  null,
        "Level":  2,
        "Task":  2,
        "Opcode":  12,
        "Keywords":  -9223372036854775792,
        "RecordId":  3,
        "ProviderName":  "Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing",
        "ProviderId":  "b675ec37-bdb6-4648-bc92-f3fdc74d3ca2",
        "LogName":  "Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing/Admin",
        "ProcessId":  4476,
        "ThreadId":  2764,
        "UserId":  {
                       "BinaryLength":  28,
                       "AccountDomainSid":  "S-1-5-21-2575896698-3351476891-589229321",
                       "Value":  "S-1-5-21-2575896698-3351476891-589229321-1001"
                   },
        "TimeCreated":  "\/Date(1499356849523)\/",
        "ActivityId":  null,
        "RelatedActivityId":  null,
        "ContainerLog":  "microsoft-windows-kernel-eventtracing/admin",
        "MatchedQueryIds":  [

],
        "Bookmark":  {

},
        "LevelDisplayName":  "Error",
        "OpcodeDisplayName":  "Start",
        "TaskDisplayName":  "Session",
        "KeywordsDisplayNames":  [
                                     "Session"
                                 ],
        "Properties":  [
                           "System.Diagnostics.Eventing.Reader.EventProperty",
                           "System.Diagnostics.Eventing.Reader.EventProperty"
                       ],
        "Message":  "Session \"MEngineTraceReaderSession\" failed to start with the following error: 0xC0000035"
    }
]

It seems the 10 digits at the end of this: MSOLAP$AnalysisServicesWorkspace1572025109 seems to change for every time you try a start of Power BI July 2017 version (64-bit)

stas_lit
Hi,

I have the same issues on my laptop under win10 x64.
I've even installed Power BI on clean win10 x64 and Power BI doesn't work.
Does anyone have 
Power BI 2.47.4766.542 (June 2017) installer, so I can work on old version?

Regards,
Stan
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@MFelix @stas_lit @poujor

I cannot repro the same issue on my side. But I notice that there are several users have the same problem after upgrade to the July 2017 version.

I’ve reported it internally to Power BI Team: CRI 41936380
I’ll post here once I get any update about it.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

brianhartman
Power BI Team

I'm a developer on the Power BI team and am investigating this issue.  I suspect that this is a problem with Analysis Services starting up.  However, we haven't been able to reproduce this problem in house, so it would be helpful if you could send us the log files that are produced on start up.  The easiest way would probably be to place them on OneDrive or a similar file sharing service.  But if that doesn't work for you, send me a private message and we can figure out another way.

To get the log files:

1. Launch PowerBI Desktop and wait for the error message to be visible.  Do not close the error dialog.

2. Find the AnalysisServicesWorkspace folder for the session of PowerBI Desktop that you just launched.  The path will be something similar to c:\users\<YourName>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\AnalysisServicesWorkspaces\AnalysisServicesWorkspace<random number>.

3. Zip up the contents of that folder or copy the contents to a file sharing service

MFelix
Super User

Hi @brianhartman,

I downloaded the version that is online of yesterday and the problem still persist, I will share my zip file in a private message.

Regards,

MFelix

poujor
Regular Visitor

@brianhartmanI have tired to install the updated version of Power BI desktop July 2017, it makes no difference.

I just did the exercise you described to get log data. When trying to zip it. It complained about files held open by Power BI. Then I copied the entire directory. This was with almost no issue, except a complaint about a 0kb  lock file.

I have zipped the data and shared in in a ondrive folder - URL is: https://1drv.ms/f/s!Akm5SYaniqtbiYwyfebWSiqs1h_G-A

I hope it will make your work identifying the issues easier. 

Regards  

Poul