Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

On-premises Gateway - The profile for this user is a temporary profile

After installing the January 2024 Power BI On-Premise Gateway v 3000.202.16 and logging in successfully with my email address I get this error “The profile for this user is a temporary profile” and I cannot proceed any further due to this error. The solution is to change the user account under which the service runs BUT I've never had to do this before, so why now? 

This is the gateway's service account " NT SERVICE\PBIEgwService " is being flagged as a "temporary account". I checked for this "profile" under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\ BUT it doesn't exist.

Full text of error

One or more errors occurred.
Error generating an asymmetric key.
Exception message: The profile for the user is a temporary profile. <-- user = NT SERVICE\PBIEgwService

at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayClient.GatewayConfigurationClient.GenerateAsymmetricKey()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.GatewayCommon.DmtsGatewayCreation.CreateClusterGateway(String gatewayName, SecureString recoveryKey, String salt, SecureString legacyRecoveryKey, String legacySalt, Uri dmtsBackendUri, Guid anchorGatewayObjectId, GatewayServiceBusDetails senderDetails, GatewayServiceBusDetails listenerDetails, String registrationTenantObjectId, String registrationUserObjectId, String clientScope)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.WizardRestoreViewModel.<RestoreClusterGatewayAsync>d__97.MoveNext()

temp_prof.PNG

on-prem.PNG

service-account.png

Any help to solve this would be greatly appreciated. Windows Server 2019.

I recommend that Microsoft releases a registry cleaner exe to wipe all files and all traces of the gateway to prepare for a perfectly clean installation. The application clearly doesn't have much budget behind it because it's frought with issues (literally all over the internet).

BTW, if you try to login to the Power BI on-premises gateway with your email address and you get the error "Network request returned unexpected error." try disabling TLS 1.3 in the registry. This worked perfectly for me, just set Enabled dword to 0, for both Client and Server folders located here HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.3

Hi  @TrickMasterPC ,

I tried to reproduce your issue but was unsuccessful, there is no feedback from other users who have had similar experiences to you at this time, thank you for providing workaround. any more details to help us understand this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi  @TrickMasterPC ,

I tried to reproduce your issue but was unsuccessful, there is no feedback from other users who have had similar experiences to you at this time, thank you for providing workaround. any more details to help us understand this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

TrickMasterPC
Frequent Visitor

@v-xiaoyan-msft

I've fully documented the situation, so not much more detail to provide. It's still a problem that I cannot solve, but someone at Microsoft probably knows.

How can a corrupted service account NT SERVICE\PBIEgwService be resolved?

How can the registry and files on C:\ be "cleaned" in preperation for a clean install of the gateway?

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support

Hi @TrickMasterPC ,

The issue is complex which may need to collect log files for further troubleshooting. Since community support engineers don't have that access, I would suggest opening a Support Ticket and a dedicated Microsoft engineer will come to solve the problem for you.
It would be great if you continue to share in this issue to help others with similar problems after you know the root cause or solution.

The link of Power BI Support: Support | Microsoft Power BI

For how to create a support ticket, please refer to How to create a support ticket in Power BI - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn