Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

New PowerPlatform connector does not show dataflow anymore in PowerBI Lineage view

PowerBI connector for Dataflow shows really the Named dataflow in Lineage view.

We are testing the new PowerPlatform Connector, to allow query folding iwth Enhanced Computing Engine, but now we notice that you cannot see anymore which Dataflow is used by a dataset, with this new connector. It just reads PowerPlatformDataFlows.

Please make sure we can use the new connector, with the improved performance, while still allow lineage view to work, so we can do impact analysis.

Hi @bertlefever 

May I know whether you are using the following connector? Is your problem that you don't see the dataflow used by the report dataset in Lineage?  Is your workspace in a Premium capacity?

vcazhengmsft_0-1639633462488.png

May I know whether you have enable dataflow load for the capacity resided the workspace? If you enable it in capacity setting, will you see the dataflow in your Lineage?

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Caiyun

Comments
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @bertlefever 

May I know whether you are using the following connector? Is your problem that you don't see the dataflow used by the report dataset in Lineage?  Is your workspace in a Premium capacity?

vcazhengmsft_0-1639633462488.png

May I know whether you have enable dataflow load for the capacity resided the workspace? If you enable it in capacity setting, will you see the dataflow in your Lineage?

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Caiyun

bertlefever
Regular Visitor

Hi, thank you for follow-up.

No, we tried out new "Dataflows" connector (bottom one in your screenshot) released August 21 to leverage Enhance Computing Engine, as described in blog:

Chris Webb's BI Blog: How Query Folding And The New Power BI Dataflows Connector Can Help Dataset Re...

This is the main change, and breaks the proper lineage view. With the "Power BI Dataflows" we can see which dataflow is approached.

Both dataset and dataflow reside in Premium capacity workspace, but in different workspaces.

The dataflow missing information "PowerPlatformDataflows" is definitely enabled load, as it contains the facts.

Screenshot shows the two types of Dataflow connectors mixed and their representation in lineage:

bertlefever_0-1639643235732.png

I hope this clarifies and allows reproduction.

KR,
Bert

gpfox
Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same issue. Using PowerPlatform.Dataflows connector, you lose the lineage in the Lineage View in the Power BI workspace. Please fix Microsoft!

m-colbert
Resolver II

Same result when using the REST API Dataflows - Get Upstream Dataflows In Group - REST API (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Lea...

Since Power Platform dataflows will eventually replace Power BI dataflows, this is critical to be fixed.