Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Line chart no longer able use continuous x-axis (September release bug)

Prior to the September update I was able to use line chart to show y values from multiple parameters (ie, a muliple series line chart with legend) along a continuous x-axis (date range). This x-axis would remain continuous whether I was drilled up to the highest heirarchy level (year) or expanded all the way down. After the September update, I have lost the ability to show the continuous date range when I expand down. I can select categorical vs continuous when I am drilled up to the highest level (year) but then when I expand down it automatically switches to categorical and there is no longer a selection option. 

This is a problem because it used to be a great way of showing the trends of different parameters over time. Just summarizing by year is not granular enough, and making it categorical is not helpful at all with many data point.

Also, when charting only 1 series (ie, no data field in legend), the continuous vs categorical selection is still enabled. So this seems to only be a problem when multiple series are plotted. 

Hi @mccole72 ,

We got the feedback from PG

"I thought they had a row for the missing dates and the value was blank. This will have to be solved from a data perspective, the x-axis - categorical or continuous - can't automatically infer to put a tick at each individual date"

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @mccole72 ,

We got the feedback from PG

"I thought they had a row for the missing dates and the value was blank. This will have to be solved from a data perspective, the x-axis - categorical or continuous - can't automatically infer to put a tick at each individual date"

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

alicek
Helper II

I am also experiencing this bug. Here are screenshots of before and after. This is a big problem, as this is on our public-facing dashboards. @v-xiaoyan-msft @mccole72 

alicek_0-1664296909234.png

alicek_1-1664296975828.png

This is not a problem with my data - I'm using a date table correctly and the dashboard was fine until this release. The comment from PG doesn't make sense, if it's Microsoft's response (I wasn't quite clear on that)... it CAN be continuous (and is), but when I drag a different variable on to the legend, that's when it breaks. That shouldn't be a problem at all for whether the x-axis is continuous or not. 

Any updates on the investigation? Or any thoughts on what I need to do to re-fix it?

alicek
Helper II

Hi  @v-caitlyn-mstf, any updates on this investigation? It's happening to all reports now.

GiantAnt

Same problem here, working fine with the August release, but not with the September release😢

mccole72

@v-xiaoyan-msft Any updates on this problem? This is not an issue with my x-axis data - it worked perfectly before the September release.

@alicek @GiantAnt I found a temporary workaround that might work for you. If I change the x-axis from Date Hierarchy to normal I can choose continuous and plot multiple series, see screenshot: 

mccole72_0-1665331569389.png

However, this fix is not perfect because it is not letting me plot a secondary y-axis, which is something I need to be able to do. A line graph with multiple series on one y-axis and then other series on a second y-axis is very simple to do in Excel. Why is Power BI not able to do this?

Ensiji

Hi, new member here.

I am also facing the same difficulty.

October 2022 update has been released. I'm afraid this issue is not resolved yet.

Is there any update with this investigation?