Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Deployment Pipeline Breaks Data Source Connections

Deploying a dataflow between deployment pipeline environments breaks the underlying connections, specifically for a data source using the on-premises data gateway and the Oracle data connector. The data flow has to be updated using the same steps to create the data flow in order for the data to be refreshed correctly. There does not seem to be a way to choose a specific connection for a dataflow between environments. There are many instances where someone would need multiple different connections to the same datasource using different credentials.

Hi @joliverdata ,

Please try the function "deployment rule", refer to:

Create deployment rules Power BI Application lifecycle management (ALM) - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best regards,

Community Support Team_yanjiang

Comments
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @joliverdata ,

Please try the function "deployment rule", refer to:

Create deployment rules Power BI Application lifecycle management (ALM) - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best regards,

Community Support Team_yanjiang

joliverdata
Regular Visitor

Hi,

Thank you for the suggestion but I am still seeing the same issue. Once you deploy the data flow to a new envrionment, even with the deployment rule selecting the data source, the data flow is broken and must be fixed manually by reconnecting to the data source with a specific connection. It seems to me that the actual connection information is not being translated between environments. The deployment rule allows you to select a data source but not an underlying connection. With big environments or multiple different groups of users, there will be numerous connections to a single data source. One thing I have not tried is removing all other connections to the data source in question and seeing if the deployment pipeline defaults to a data source and connection. While this might help narrow down the issue, it is not something we can do in practice with our Power BI environment.