Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Case expressions may only be nested to level 10.

Hi There and happy new year,

I've been running a report since 03-2017 with an "added conditional Column".It has 16 rows of conditions.

2018-01-08 09_52_25-.png

After applying the Dec 2017 update, I'm now receiving the following error and there isnt much I can find when trying to google the error except SQL referrences on correcting the syntax structure of nested case expressions in SQL. 

2018-01-08 09_56_09-MS ManagerV3_Inventory - Query Editor.png

I'm not sure how to fix this from myside. Our department relies on the report hourly. 

As I've mentioned its been working for 9 months and suddenly an error.

Hope its a easy fix?

Kind regards

Rayno

Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

I am facing the same issue. Is it something to with the december version?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I installed the January 2018 version of Power BI. But i still get the error.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same here, updated to January version and the error persists.

raynok
Frequent Visitor

@Anonymous Yes its seems to be happening since the December 2017 update and the Jan 2018 doesnt resolve it. (as mentioned)

Here is a link provided by @simontaylor  "https://zenatti.net/2017/07/04/power-bi-previous-versions/" 

Please try the November downloads, (download the correct bit version), I've used it and have had success.

The other workaround is provided by @v-jiascu-msft in the previous comments.

Quoting myself "After applying the Dec 2017 update, I'm now receiving the following error and there isnt much I can find when trying to google the error except SQL referrences on correcting the syntax structure of nested case expressions in SQL"

Here are the SQL referrences regarding the error,

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/4286a216-bc4b-454e-896a-317b3bac24bc/case-expressions-may-only-be-nested-to-level-10?forum=transactsql 

https://visakhm.blogspot.co.za/2014/02/case-expression-issue-in-linked-server.html 

v-jiascu-msft
Employee

Hi All,

This issue has been submitted to the Product Team: CRI 56391578. 

Best Regards,

Dale

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

simontaylor
Employee

dec version involved in too many issues.

raynok
Frequent Visitor

Thanks Dale.

Currently still using the November release and look forward to the Product's Team feedback.

BIAM_BAMBOOZLED
Frequent Visitor

Has anyone got an indication as to when this will be fixed?

Lods of dashboards now failing becuase of this Smiley Sad

Any news from the Product Team would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks

Rich

Anonymous
Not applicable

This issue seems to have been fixed with the silent release of a new version on 1/19.