cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't share dashboards outside of organization - I was able to, but now I can't.

On Wednesday 19th April 2017 I was able to share my dashboard to four people who are outside my organization. i.e., these four people have a different email domain than me. There was no issue sharing on this day and these people received their invitations and were able to see the dashboard. I am the owner of the dashboard I am sharing. 

Since then, I can longer share my dashboard with people outside my organization. When I enter an email address that is not in my domain I get the error "One or more email addresses are outside your organization:".

I can still share my dashboard with people in my organization.

I don't know what has changed. All help documents I find tell me I should be able to do this, in fact I've proven it can be done, yet now I can no longer do it.

WHY?

Comments
ChrisS

There is a setting in the Admin portal which controls whether content can be shared to external users:

capture1.PNG

I believe this was in a somewhat recent Power BI update, so perhaps the documentation is not yet up-to-date.

Chris

christian-18
Regular Visitor

Thanks Chris! I am going to take an educated guess and say that is exactly it. Now I just need Admin Portal access and I'm set.

v-haibl-msft
Microsoft

@christian-18

The warning message "One or more e-mail addresses with the following domains are outside your organization" will always display even you've enabled external sharing. It is just a notification but not error message. You can just try to click the Share button to see if the external user can receive the email.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

christian-18
Regular Visitor

Hi Herbert,

i understand and the warning message you are referring to, and I've seen it before. What I'm describing is a different error which does not allow you to press the share button. The message is highlighted red instead of the one you are describing which is yellow.

v-haibl-msft
Microsoft

@christian-18

Got it. Please check the setting in Admin Portal. If we disable it, we will get the error as below.

Best Regards,
Herbert