Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Can't share dashboards outside of organization - I was able to, but now I can't.

On Wednesday 19th April 2017 I was able to share my dashboard to four people who are outside my organization. i.e., these four people have a different email domain than me. There was no issue sharing on this day and these people received their invitations and were able to see the dashboard. I am the owner of the dashboard I am sharing. 

Since then, I can longer share my dashboard with people outside my organization. When I enter an email address that is not in my domain I get the error "One or more email addresses are outside your organization:".

I can still share my dashboard with people in my organization.

I don't know what has changed. All help documents I find tell me I should be able to do this, in fact I've proven it can be done, yet now I can no longer do it.

WHY?

Comments
ChrisS

There is a setting in the Admin portal which controls whether content can be shared to external users:

capture1.PNG

I believe this was in a somewhat recent Power BI update, so perhaps the documentation is not yet up-to-date.

Chris

christian-18
Regular Visitor

Thanks Chris! I am going to take an educated guess and say that is exactly it. Now I just need Admin Portal access and I'm set.

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@christian-18

The warning message "One or more e-mail addresses with the following domains are outside your organization" will always display even you've enabled external sharing. It is just a notification but not error message. You can just try to click the Share button to see if the external user can receive the email.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

christian-18
Regular Visitor

Hi Herbert,

i understand and the warning message you are referring to, and I've seen it before. What I'm describing is a different error which does not allow you to press the share button. The message is highlighted red instead of the one you are describing which is yellow.

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@christian-18

Got it. Please check the setting in Admin Portal. If we disable it, we will get the error as below.

Best Regards,
Herbert

dstram33

I have also enabled sharing outside my organization, however Power BI will not allow me to share the dashobard outside of my organization. 

cesarlaforet

Same problem, enabled "External sharing" but still the red message and it's not possible to press the button.

any solutions?

dstram33

Yes, I was able to create an Azure external user. Once I created the external user in Azure I was able to add that user to the dashboard.

samuelfadare
Advocate I

I am currently encountering this same issue. Despite including other domain in the access list. Power Bi is still giving me the error prompt messgae "One or more e-mail addresses with the following domains are outside your organization". Any ideas on how this can be solved permanently?