Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bookmarks on all reports not working in app.powerbi service or embedded app

All bookmarks on all tabs of all reports are not working as of this afternoon in Eastern US whether on app.powerbi service or embedded.  This is HUGE.  Any idea of what's happening?  Is it being worked on?

Comments
ThomasDay
Impactful Individual

BOOKMARKS NOT WORKING on any reports in app.powerbi.com or embedded reports

ThomasDay
Impactful Individual

As of yesterday 3-29-2018, app.powerbi.com handles images linked to bookmarks differently than desktop.  Unannounced and unexpected.

Desktop considers the entire image including the title as clickable.  App.powerbi.com only recognizes clicks on the non-title part of an image.  

I have built many pages on many reports using bookmarks to title only images...so naturally this made a mess of my commercial, powerbi driven site.

Tom

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @ThomasDay,

Based on my test, the bookmarks feature works fine on my side. Please try again in your environment. If the issue persists, please share detail information for us try to reproduce it. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

ThomasDay
Impactful Individual

Here's what's happening.  Thursday, March 29 about mid-day, the behavior of "bookmark images" linked to bookmarks changed.  An image title is no longer clickable...only the non title part of the image..  That is an unannounced change and every one of our bookmarks on our commercial site is attached to very compressed images (see screen shots below) since they take up a lot of space and space is in short supply.  So, our commercial site went down...out of business until I figured out what was going on and redid all the models to reflect the change.

Desktop continues to work as it always has.  In Desktop--the entire image including the title are and have always been clickable, while app.powerbi and therefore embedding changed March 29 by making only the non-title part of the image clickable.

Desktop behavior--notice the title is clickable

DesktopBehavior.png

---------------------

App.power.com--notice the image is not

AppdotPowerbiBehavior.png!

This is in my DropBox....for you to see the differences.

Short video showing the functionality issue

Tom

Let me know if you need more

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @ThomasDay,

Thank your for your detail information. 

I have created a report to link bookmark to a image, after publish the report to Power BI service, I can also Ctrl +click in the image to display bookmark content. Please try to test my report on your side to see if the issue persists. 

q3.PNG

Also you can update your Power BI desktop to the latest version then republish your report. Open different browsers to try if image is clickable. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

ThomasDay
Impactful Individual

Hello @v-qiuyu-msft @Vicky_Song

A few notes:  I always update to the most current Powerbi (unless it has serious issues which hasn't happened in over a year).  And test with Edge and Chrome--always the current update.  Anyway that said, I downloaded your model and there are important points to remember.

• The title is what is clickable on desktop and not on app.powerbi.
  • The space required for a "switching image" using bookmarks is BIG and clutters the very crowded visual landscape of powerbi reports. 
    • And if you use bookmarks like tabs as you see I have--they need a "font text", not an image of text which can't be sized properly--it changes size as you size the image. 
    • So to make tight, descriptive images I used the title bar and 8pt font, and then size the image file to show only the title.  It worked until last week. Too bad--it makes the bookmarks very versatile
  • I've modified your model per the above.  It works in desktop and not on app.powerbi.com.

Thank you,

Tom

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @ThomasDay,

I can reproduce the issue on my side as well. I have reported this internally: CRI 64809608. Will update here once I get any information. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

ThomasDay
Impactful Individual

@v-qiuyu-msft @Vicky_Song
Well, as our luck would have it, the April Release has Action buttons which are brilliant.  They do what I was cobbling together with the image titles and more.  Cool hover action, cool click action, a very professional interface can be made with these.  That's the solution.  I'm converting it all to the built-in action button tools.

Tom