Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Being prompted for credentials each time I open Power BI desktop version 2.117.894 and later

Running a VM with 2 processors and 32 GB of RAM
Windows Server 2016 standard 64-bit
Version 1607

OS Build 14393.5501

Everytime I open Power BI Desktop I'm being promtped to re-enter my login credentials... This appears to have started on 2.117.894 which was found after some testing.
This is incredibly frustrating and annoying as I need to enter my full e-mail/AD password (multiple times) and also authenticate via Ping ID every time I open Power BI desktop. Previous version did not have this issue and functioned as expected caching the credentials, allowing me to open a new Power BI desktop window without needing to re-authenticate every time.

I have installed previous version of Power BI but am unable to open and .pbix file I edited in a more recent version... the following list is the versions tested to document when the issues started to occur:

2.115.663 - not re-prompted to login each time, user image shows up, pbix files do not load

2.116.622 - not re-promptedto login each time, user image shows up, pbix files do not load

2.116.996 - not re-prompted to login each time, user image shows up, pbix files do not load

2.117.894 and after - re-prompted for login each time, user image does not show up, pbix files load

The "user image" is simply my avatar that is set on office365 for my user account within my company

None of the labels made sense for this issue, but I was required to add one.

Update:

There has been internal feedback from engineers about this issue and it will be fixed in a future release, no definite ETA at this time.

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi  @WorkUsername ,

We see that there has been feedback from other users who have encountered similar experiences to you. The problem seems to be in Power BI Desktop on 32 bit.

Please try update desktop to the latest version available in download center .

I will update here if there is any progress, so please be patient.

Best regards.

WorkUsername
Advocate I

I'm running and all previous installs were the 64-bit version of PBI Desktop, currently on version: 2.118.1063.0
Still being prompted for loging credentials everytime I open PBI Desktop.
I just wanted to make sure it was noted that 2.117.894 was the time I started having to enter crednetials every time.
Current Version:

WorkUsername_0-1689259406366.png

I'll await any updates on the issue, Thanks for the follow up.

cvillegas
Advocate IV

We are leveraging  2.118.1063.0 and are encountering the same behavior that just began with this version.

cvillegas
Advocate IV

What we've seen is if we disable the certificate revokation check that the login appears to work without multiple prompts:

cvillegas_1-1689354872073.png

cvillegas_0-1689353896848.png

josephws
Advocate I

Instead of multiple prompts, I've had trouble w/ no prompts since the May udpates came out. Still no change since the July 11 version. Tried certificate revocation with no luck. Here's my post...

https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Desktop/Can-t-sign-into-desktop-on-RDP-w-May-June-updates/...

BPick

I'm currently having the same issue running Version: 2.119.666.0 64-bit (July 2023)

GWerling
Advocate I

@WorkUsername @v-xiaoyan-msft Another reported issue that is similar to the issue I reported as well. For me it started with May verison and continues to the current July version: May 2023, June 2023, and now July 2023 prompts sig... - Microsoft Fabric Community

@cvillegas Good suggestion, but unfortunately, for me it did not work.  Still get prompted for my credentials multiple times.

akazian

Same issues there when i have upgrade to version 2.119.666.

i have try this one wihtout success: How admins can manage the Power BI Desktop sign-in form - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

Hi all,

We have seen on the internal platform that other engineers have reported this issue and submitted it.
The engineers on the product team are now aware and will do their best to resolve the issue. I will update here if there is any progress, so please be patient.

Best regards.

PLdeJong

We are experiencing exactly the same issue since weupgrade to Version: 2.119.666.0 64-bit (juli 2023).

Version 1607

OS Build: 14393.5989

Note: We have not experienced this issue on a non-server version OS like Windows 10.