Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

can't publish a "Power BI Reportbuilder" Paginated Report (*.rdl) to a Fabric Workspace

I can't publish a "Power BI Reportbuilder" Paginated Report (*.rdl) to a Fabric Workspace using a data source with a "Microsoft Azure SQL Database" connection type which is reference to a "Microsoft Fabric Warehouse".

At my desktop the report is working according to expectations, however when I want to publish this report to the Power BI Service, the following error is raised (what to do to fix it?):
Operation returned an invalid status code 'BadRequest'
RdlWorkloadErrorCode: 
PaginatedReportAuthoringError

RdlWorkloadErrorMessage: 
Report contains invalid data source: SPA_DB. SQL Server is not supported by the SQL Azure data extension. Please use the SQL data extension instead.

RdlWorkloadErrorTitle: 

RdlWorkloadErrorContractName: 
V1_MessageContainsPiiNonTranslated

RdlWorkloadErrorInternalErrorMessage: 

RdlWorkloadErrorCulprit: 
User

PaginatedReportAuthoringError: 
Report contains invalid data source: SPA_DB. SQL Server is not supported by the SQL Azure data extension. Please use the SQL data extension instead.

HostMode: 
AutoPremium

CapacityObjectId: 
1AA8386F-2904-446A-990E-5E503436EF71
ErrorCode: PaginatedReportAuthoringError 
Details: An unknown error was encountered. Please try again.  

ResponseId: 2f43bc47-dfbe-483c-aafe-1c03b0d5f99f 
ActivityId: 54714cb2-61a0-4d96-a7c1-99ec3a6d6781 
RequestId: 9caba1a6-3de1-47b0-88ed-3557715c9d59 
Timestamp: 20-2-2024 15:00:42 +01:00 

Hi @Pilares ,

Based on the error message you provided, to my knowledge it seems that the report contains an invalid data source. Specifically, it appears that the connection type for your data source is "Microsoft Azure SQL Database", which is not supported by the SQL Azure data extension. Instead, you should use the SQL data extension.

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @Pilares ,

Based on the error message you provided, to my knowledge it seems that the report contains an invalid data source. Specifically, it appears that the connection type for your data source is "Microsoft Azure SQL Database", which is not supported by the SQL Azure data extension. Instead, you should use the SQL data extension.

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

Pilares
Frequent Visitor

Hi Support Team, Caitlyn,

How can I use the SQL data extension? Providing any steps would be appreciated.

I've already tried to use the "Microsoft SQL Server" connection type, however that didn't work.

annwallinger

I am facing the same issue. Are there any instructions/documentation on how to connect a Power BI Report Builder report to a Fabric Data Warehouse SQL endpoint and publish it to Fabric? It fails....

Pilares
Frequent Visitor

Hi @annwallinger, good to know that I am not the only one facing this issue.

So @v-xiaoyan-msft, how can we fix it?

Pilares
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-xiaoyan-msft, any updates on how to fix the issue. How can I apply the "SQL Data extension" in "Power BI Report Builder"?