Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Why does exported ppt (embed an image) inherits label , but embed live data doesn't inherit label?

I have applied a sensitivity label (confidential) to a dataset and report.

When I export as ppt (embed an image) then the file gets the label and permissions. However, when I export ppt (embed live data) then it doesn't inherit the label. Why is that?

This means an end user can export to pdf (embed live data) and bypass information protection? 

Hi @nach_pbi ,

Sensitivity labels on Power BI assets are visible in the workspace list, lineage, favorites, recents, and apps views; labels aren't currently visible in the "shared with me" view. Note, however, that a label applied to a Power BI asset, even if not visible, will always persist on data exported to Excel, PowerPoint, PDF, and PBIX files.

Sensitivity labels and file encryption protect data only when it leaves Power BI via supported export paths. Data that leaves Power BI via unsupported export paths won't inherit the sensitivity label and won't be encrypted.

To prevent leakage of sensitive data, the Power BI admin can block export from non-supported export paths using Power BI's export and sharing settings.

Sensitivity labels troubleshooting - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best regards.
Community Support Team_ Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @nach_pbi ,

Sensitivity labels on Power BI assets are visible in the workspace list, lineage, favorites, recents, and apps views; labels aren't currently visible in the "shared with me" view. Note, however, that a label applied to a Power BI asset, even if not visible, will always persist on data exported to Excel, PowerPoint, PDF, and PBIX files.

Sensitivity labels and file encryption protect data only when it leaves Power BI via supported export paths. Data that leaves Power BI via unsupported export paths won't inherit the sensitivity label and won't be encrypted.

To prevent leakage of sensitive data, the Power BI admin can block export from non-supported export paths using Power BI's export and sharing settings.

Sensitivity labels troubleshooting - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best regards.
Community Support Team_ Caitlyn

nach_pbi
Frequent Visitor

Did you try to export to PowerPoint using the embed live data option? The exported file doesn't inherit the label.