Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Unable to connect excel with powerbi data

Hi

I have been facing issues with excel connection file (.odc) of PowerBI. I use the PowerBI data to analyse numbers on excel, and I have doing this for quite sometime now successfully. however, since past few weeks, I have been facing a connection issue, and have not been able to find the right solution. See screenshot of the error message I get once I enter my login credentials. I had installed PowerBI Publisher for excel a few days ago. Could this have caused any issue? I have unistalled it as well, but the issue still persists.

Any suggestions?

login_screen.jpegerror_msg.jpeg

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @abhitiwa,

I'm not able to reproduce the issue on my side. Based on my research, the latest Publisher for Excel provider version is 2.37.3272.28541. When I try to connect to Power BI dataset in Excel in below environment, the issue doesn't occur. In your scenario, please try to use the same provider as ours, open a new Excel worksheet to test again. 

q5.PNG

Note: Do mask sensitive data before uploading.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

ricardovergel

I started having the same problem this morning after updating to the latest version of the Power BI Publisher (2.37.3272.33601). I get the same message when I try to connect to a dataset from Excel 2016.

I'll try to uninstall it and rollback to the previous version. Could you try to reproduce the issue? I'll warn the users not to update to the latest version.

Thanks,

Ricardo Vergel

ricardovergel

Latest update on this issue: I wasn't able to find a previous version of the Power BI Publisher, so I restored the latest System Restore Point in my computer. That way, I was able to rollback my machine to the state before the publisher update.

That solved my problem, so I think this is really an issue related to the version 2.37.3272.33601. I wouldn't recommend to install it before Microsoft fixes it.

Is there any place in the Microsoft site from where I could install previous versions of Power BI products ? Had I not the System Restore Points enabled in my computer, I wouldn't have been able to solve my problem...

Thanks!

Ricardo Vergel