Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Missing taskbar icon for Power BI Desktop report only on the first opened report

Hello,

After the last update (Version: 2.102.845.0 64-bit (februarie 2022)) I have a missing Power BI icon on the taskbar for the first opened report. The icon will be visible when opening the Power Query Editor, as you could see in the picture below.

MissingIcon.png

When I open a second report, the icon will be visible on both Power BI report and query editor:

MissingIcon2.png

Is it possible to make it visible on the first report too?... 🙂

Kind Regards,

Lucian

I have tested with the same verison of Power BI Desktop which is downloaded from Microsoft store but it still works, the OS verison is also the same.

Have you tried to use the Web downloaded version of Power BI Desktop to check this issue?

If the Web downloaded version still has the same issue, we suggest that you can create a support ticket at the end of here for further help if this issue is urgent for you.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

Comments
v-yingjl
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Have you tried to pin the Power BI Desktop icon to the taskbar first, then click the icon from taskbar to open Power BI Desktop to load these reports to check this issue?

Best Regards,

Lucian
Responsive Resident

Hi @v-yingjl ,

Thank you for your message.

Trying to open the Power BI Desktop from the pinned taskbar icon will open an "Untitled" report that has no icon, then opening another report from the File menu, will open it as a "second" report (then imediately close that "untitled" report) and this way will have the icon displayed.

If I try to open the PBI Desktop app again from the pinned icon, the new "untitled" report will have again the "missing icon". 

It seems that first opened report will not have the icon displayed, and every other report will have the icon displayed correctly.

Kind Regards,

Lucian

v-yingjl
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Still could not reproduce it in my side as far as my test. 

When opening a new blank report from taskbar icon and choose to open an existing report in Power BI Desktop, it should be opened directly instead of 'opened as a second report'.

Could you please consider sharing your device environment where Power BI Desktop runs, like OS version etc.

In addition, does the version of Power BI Desktop be a Microsoft store version or a Web downloaded version?

Best Regards,

Lucian
Responsive Resident

Hello @v-yingjl ,

Opening an existing report, directly from the taskbar icon, will produce different results. Same report, opened as a "single report", sometimes will show the icon, sometimes not.

My Power BI Desktop was installed from Microsoft Store and here are some info displayed by the copied diagnostics:

Release:
February 2022

Product Version:
2.102.845.0 (22.02) (x64)

OS Version:
Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.19044.0 (x64 en-US)

CLR Version:
4.7 or later [Release Number = 528372]

IE Version:

Workbook Package Info:
1* - ro-RO, Query Groups: 2, fastCombine: Disabled, runBackgroundAnalysis: True.

Telemetry Enabled:
True

Model Default Mode:
Import

Model Version:
PowerBI_V3

Enabled Preview Features:
PBI_shapeMapVisualEnabled
PBI_qnaLiveConnect
PBI_azureMapVisual
PBI_dataPointLassoSelect
PBI_compositeModelsOverAS
PBI_dynamicParameters
PBI_enhancedTooltips
PBI_enableWebView2
PBI_mobileAuthoringFormattingUI
PBI_useModernFormatPane
PBI_sparklines
PBI_scorecardVisual

Disabled Preview Features:
PBI_SpanishLinguisticsEnabled
PQ_WebView2Connector

Disabled DirectQuery Options:
TreatHanaAsRelationalSource

Cloud:
GlobalCloud

DPI Scale:
125%

Kind Regards,

Lucian

v-yingjl
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

I have tested with the same verison of Power BI Desktop which is downloaded from Microsoft store but it still works, the OS verison is also the same.

Have you tried to use the Web downloaded version of Power BI Desktop to check this issue?

If the Web downloaded version still has the same issue, we suggest that you can create a support ticket at the end of here for further help if this issue is urgent for you.

Best Regards,

Lucian
Responsive Resident

Hi @v-yingjl ,

Thank you for your support. It seems that on another PC I cannot reproduce this issue, so there is something on my PC that could cause this.

Eventually I would try the web downloaded version and use the recommended support option if still missing the icon.

Kind Regards,

Lucian

Lucian
Responsive Resident

Hi @v-yingjl ,

It seems that my problem is back on both PCs, and is the same on the Microsoft Store & Web downloaded version.

I will open an support ticket for this.

Kind Regards,

Lucian