Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Help! Unable to refresh dataset due to "not enough memory to complete this operation.

Hello everyone,

I'm currently facing an issue while trying to refresh my data, which used to work seamlessly in the past. I've attempted various troubleshooting steps to resolve this problem, but I'm still stuck. I'm hoping that someone here can provide some guidance.

Here is the error message I'm encountering:

jcmkckenzie_1-1698356430320.png

**Feedback Type:**
Frown (Error)

**Timestamp:**
2023-10-26T21:30:08.7660556Z

**Local Time:**
2023-10-26T22:30:08.7660556+01:00

**Session ID:**
64cb30d3-d9bc-4de5-ae24-f5f70ef7f358

**Release:**
October 2023

**Product Version:**
2.122.746.0 (23.10) (x64)

**Stack Trace:**
Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeler.ModelingASOperationException
(at Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeler.ModelManager.<>c__DisplayClass249_0.<SaveChanges>b__0())
(at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.Hosting.ModelingTelemetryService.<>c__DisplayClass6_0`1.<RunInActivity>b__0())
(at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.Hosting.ModelingTelemetryService.RunInActivity(ModelingActivityKind activity, Action action)
(at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.Hosting.ModelingTelemetryService.RunInActivity[T](ModelingActivityKind activity, Func`1 action)
(at Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeler.ModelManager.SaveChangesForCommit(String description, Boolean recalc)
(at Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeler.ModelManager.InternalTransaction.Commit(Boolean recalc)
(at Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeling.Engine.Authoring.AsyncModelAuthoringService.ModelAuthoringTransaction.Commit(RecalcBehavior recalcBehavior)
(at Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeling.Engine.Authoring.AsyncModelAuthoringService.ExtendedModelChangeScope.ExecuteChange(ModelChange modelChange, Boolean isTrustedSource, Boolean saveChange, RecalcBehavior recalcBehavior, String descriptionToTrace)
(at Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeling.Engine.ModelingEngine.<>c__DisplayClass16_1.<RouteModelChangeAsync>b__3(IExtendedModelChangeScope scope)
(at Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeling.Engine.Authoring.AsyncModelAuthoringService.<>c__DisplayClass11_0.<RunExtendedModelChangeAsync>b__0(IExtendedModelChangeScope scope)
(at Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeling.Engine.Authoring.AsyncModelAuthoringService.<>c__DisplayClass12_0.<<RunExtendedModelChangeAsync>b__0>d.MoveNext())
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---

**PowerBINonFatalError:**
{"AppName":"PBIDesktop","AppVersion":"2.122.746.0","ModuleName":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeler.dll","Component":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeler.ModelManager+<>c__DisplayClass249_0","Error":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeler.ModelingASOperationException","MethodDef":"<SaveChanges>b__0 - PFE_SERVERBASE_OPERATION_CANCELLED_DUE_TO_MEMORY_PRESSURE","ErrorOffset":"97","ErrorCode":""}

**InnerException0.Stack Trace:**
(at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Tabular.Model.SaveChangesImpl(SaveFlags flags, Int32 maxParallelism)
(at Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeler.ModelManager.<>c__DisplayClass249_0.<SaveChanges>b__0())

**OS Version:**
Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.19045.0 (x64 en-GB)

**CLR Version:**
4.8 or later [Release Number = 533325]

**Peak Virtual Memory:**
73.5 GB

**Private Memory:**
1.77 GB

**Peak Working Set:**
2.82 GB

**IE Version:**

**User ID:**
fb2047f2-1919-4aea-b431-3c983b2da243

**Workbook Package Info:**
1* - en-GB, Query Groups: 0, fastCombine: Disabled, runBackgroundAnalysis: True.

**Telemetry Enabled:**
True

**Model Default Mode:**
Import

**Model Version:**
PowerBI_V3

**Enabled Preview Features:**
- PBI_sparklines
- PBI_scorecardVisual
- PBI_NlToDax
- PBI_fieldParametersSuperSwitch
- PBI_setLabelOnExportPdf
- PBI_dynamicFormatString
- PBI_oneDriveSave
- PBI_oneDriveShare
- PBI_newCard

**Disabled Preview Features:**
- PBI_shapeMapVisualEnabled
- PBI_SpanishLinguisticsEnabled
- PBI_qnaLiveConnect
- PBI_b2bExternalDatasetSharing
- PBI_enhancedTooltips
- PBI_angularRls
- PBI_onObject
- PBI_backstageUI
- PBI_gitIntegration
- PBI_modelExplorer

**Disabled DirectQuery Options:**
TreatHanaAsRelationalSource

**Cloud:**
GlobalCloud

**DPI Scale:**
100%

**Supported Services:**
Power BI

Any help and support you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Juan

The solution was provided, now this thread would be closed.

If you have further questions,you may ask me reopen it.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi  @jcmkckenzie ,

The error “Not enough memory to complete this operation” in Power BI usually means that the system does not have enough memory to process the task at hand.

You may check the following methods to troubleshoot this problem.

How to fix Memory error Allocation failure in Power BI? (windowsreport.com)

Another workaround you may refer is to optimize your report by considering the following tips:

• Limit the amount of data that is displayed in visuals, particularly when dealing with large datasets
  • Simplify visuals to reduce complexity and make them easier to read
  • Optimize data models to enhance query performance
  • Minimize the use of custom visuals, as they can be resource-intensive
  • Use bookmarks and conditional formatting to improve interactivity and reduce load times

Please be free to tell me if you need further help.

Best regards.

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

The solution was provided, now this thread would be closed.

If you have further questions,you may ask me reopen it.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards.