Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

View Rights Can't see Dataflows

So we migrated much of our workspaces to be connected to Pipelines. We have a DEV, TEST and PRODUCTION workspaces for every workspace. Then implemented a Change Management process that will only gives a handful of people permission to publish to the Production workspace. Deveopers and Report writers only have VIEW access in the Production workspaces.

We noticed that if someone has VIEW rights, they can only see Reports in the WebUI. Dataflows and Datasets are filtered out. We leverage DataFlows heavilly to cleanup and better organize our data. All reports are written against the Dataflow tables and don't touch our source systems at all. Our DEVs would like to see when the tables last refreshed or if there were any errors but we don't want them having any edit rights. We noticed DEVs were editing the production dataflows directly causing issues with other reports and keeping our Pipelines in sync. Hence the lockdown and migration to Pipelines for change managmenet controls.

Is there a way to permission the workspace so people can still see and browse the dataflows without giving them access to edit them? 

Hi @NickTT ,

If you want to see the refresh history and results of dataflow, a viewer can still click the three dots of the dataflow and see Refresh history and other supported features.

vyanjiangmsft_0-1682661200427.png

If you want to click into the dataflow and see the details of the data, I think edit permission of the workspace is required. In the dataflow action column, there's only edit tables, not view tables. I think it's because when we go into the dataflows, it's a Power Query online engine, it's not supported that only view but not edit in Power Query.

vyanjiangmsft_1-1682662285845.png

Best regards,

Community Support Team_yanjiang

Comments
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @NickTT ,

If you want to see the refresh history and results of dataflow, a viewer can still click the three dots of the dataflow and see Refresh history and other supported features.

vyanjiangmsft_0-1682661200427.png

If you want to click into the dataflow and see the details of the data, I think edit permission of the workspace is required. In the dataflow action column, there's only edit tables, not view tables. I think it's because when we go into the dataflows, it's a Power Query online engine, it's not supported that only view but not edit in Power Query.

vyanjiangmsft_1-1682662285845.png

Best regards,

NickTT
Helper II

You can't look at the refresh history because the data flows are filtered out. ONLY reports show when given view rights to the workspace.

The user in this screen shot only has VIEW rights.

NickTT_0-1682691868553.png

v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support

Hi @NickTT ,

By my test and research, it's not supported now. As shown below "You need the required workspace permission to view the artifact details."

vyanjiangmsft_0-1682909252218.png

Best regards,