Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

URGENT!!: Map Visualization Not Working

Both (Map and Filled Map) visuals are no longer rendering online.

Both render OK on Power BI desktop but are blank online, showing only the MAP background.  The data is not mapped.

Please advise as this is a critical capability.

Comments
eisz
Regular Visitor

I have downloaded the newest Power BI Desktop version (June Update) for 64bit. Since then I have the same issue in desktop mode (aswell as in online as stated before).

Furthermore I am also using a combination with postal code and country which is not working anymore.

After removing the country part and only using the postal code the map is working but of course with the wrong citys beeing marked.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all,

1. Please share the .pbix file which works in desktop while not in service.

2. Please run the Fiddler with HTTPS encrypt enabled, then open the service to run the map report. Share .saz file here.

3. Please share the cluster information via About Power BI.

q5.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all,

I can reproduce the issue when we concatenate Country and Zip code, and place this calculated column in Location property of Map visual. This kind of map visual will dispaly blank and doesn't have any data point both in service and dessktop Jun release.

I already reported this issue internally: CRI 39558258. Will update here once get feedback.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

BrunoBarbosa
Regular Visitor

In my case the map is redering the "City" location as an adress.

One example. On desktop everything is fine and Buenos Aires is located correctly:

buenos aires corrected.JPG

However, on powerbi services the location changes to Colombia. Specifically in a neighborhood in a city called Bucaramanga:

colombia.JPGbucaramanga.JPG

Please help

GreyWolf27
Frequent Visitor

Try this BrunoBarbosa. Add two fields to your datasource (LAT and LONG). Then assign -34.60851 for the LAT, and -58.37349 for the LONG which align to Buenos Aires. Then associate these to their corresponding fields in the map visual. That should correct the mapping error.

BrunoBarbosa
Regular Visitor

Thank you for your comment,

The solution you propose doesn't work for us, given we are working with a dynamic database of more than 1000 cities (increasing every week), it would be very time consuming to map the LAT and LONG for each one of them. We need the application working as it used to work before ASAP, given the importance of this tool to the business.

Buenos Aires was just one example, this is happening with several other cities too.

Thank you,

Mattr_TEM
Frequent Visitor

Greywolf27, the data source that we use has an address column:  address, city, state, country.  At any one time we can have 50-150 different data points.  Manually entering Lat and Long for each data point is not feasible, which is why we set our process up this way.

I opened up a service ticket and receive the following response:

"Hi Matthew,

There is some know problem with current  map visual.

A new one is planned at the end of this month to work better.

Please follow the steps given meanwhile.

1. Set DataCategory for the geo column in the Modeling phase
  2. Use a location hierarchy that includes Country to scope the geocoding query, and drill using “hierarchy” drill icon (pitchfork)

We will update you ASAP.

Thanks for contacting Microsoft support."

I followed this to no avail.....

GreyWolf27
Frequent Visitor

I understand your issues but am just trying to let you know how to correct the problem now without waiting for Microsoft to fix. It's entirely up to you.

Mattr_TEM
Frequent Visitor

Greywolf27,

Thank you for the help!  We need microsoft to be as responsive as you are!

BrunoBarbosa
Regular Visitor

Same here thank you for your help Greywolf27