Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SSAS Tabular Live Connection - PowerBI will not recognize dates as dates

We have a SSAS Tabular data model (SQL Server 2014) that we connect to via a Live Connection in PowerBI. The data model has a date table that is marked as a Date Table and a properly selected date identification column. The properties for the date column are set as date.

image.png

image.png

PowerBI will not recognize the Date column as a date, thus it will not engage PowerBI's date features. 

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@mrmick69

What is the Power BI date features are you using? I just have a try on my side but cannot repro the same. The date column can be recognized properly as following screenshot.

SSAS Tabular Live Connection - PowerBI will not recognize dates as dates_1.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI does not recognise date from SSAS tabular models and create a proper hierarchy. This is a huge drawback for our organisation as well. Line charts looks awful, they do not scale properly and we cannot use trend lines. 

I do not know if this is a problem with Power BI or SSAS, but I have read that it works for SSAS cubes, but not tabular models.

You kan vote for the idea here:
https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/10989855-enable-ssas-and-date-hie...