Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

SQL Connection - "0 - The certificate chain was issued by an authority that is not trusted."

Following update to "Version: 2.126.927.0 64-bit (February 2024)" I can now nolonger connect to a particular slq server.

Microsoft SQL: A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: SSL Provider, error: 0 - The certificate chain was issued by an authority that is not trusted.)

This is not my server and it does not support encryption.  Until now I have been able to turn off encryption and have not had any SQL Certificate Chain errors.

I can still connect with the same settings via SSMS.  I don't think I can try things like trustcertificate in the connection string with PowerBI.

Has anyone a solution to this or any reports that this is a bug to be addressed would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Craig

Hi all,

We have seen on the internal platform that other engineers have reported this issue and submitted it.
The engineers on the product team are now aware and will do their best to resolve the issue. I will update here if there is any progress, so please be patient.

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi  @craigchamberlai ,

This article helps you resolve the problem that occurs when you try to make an encrypted connection to SQL Server.

Error message when you connect to SQL Server - SQL Server | Microsoft Learn

Best regards.
Community Support Team_ Caitlyn

craigchamberlai
Advocate I

Hi @v-xiaoyan-msft,

This was not happening before the weekend and I am not trying to connect with authentication enabled.  I therefore think this is a bug whereby the data connector is ignoring my setting to disable encription or has introduced some other certificate check without adding an option to always trust the cert.  This option is available in a connection string but isn't in the PowerBI SQLDatabase API

I do not manage the SQL server I'm failing to connect to and can not connect to it with MMC to export the cert. so the instructions are of no use, even as a work around.  I'm certain the cert is junk too so I don't want it in my trusted authorites, its bad enough having to trust the cert electively in a connection string.

I can connect using SSMS so I'm confident that the problem is originating in PowerBI.  Please setup a SQL server without authentication and try to recreate with the newest PowerBI.

Many thanks

Craig

Tiemen
Advocate II
PdctAnlyst

Hi All,

I'm expiriencing the same error in Power BI desktop since the last update

rcpbi
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Same issue here as well.  I was able to connect and refresh these reports last week.  We didn't make any changes to the reports.

craigchamberlai
Advocate I

This same error is now happening with the On-premises Gateway too, I had to migrate to a new instance so the gateway will have been brought up to the newest version.

bvfdhjgb

Also experiencing this issue

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

Hi all,

We have seen on the internal platform that other engineers have reported this issue and submitted it.
The engineers on the product team are now aware and will do their best to resolve the issue. I will update here if there is any progress, so please be patient.

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

Genrique
Regular Visitor

Any update ? I have some projects stuck since Tuesday for this issue.

Thanks 

Joshrodgers123
Advocate IV

We are getting a similar error and it is affecting many reports in production. @v-xiaoyan-msft