Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Report Causing Internet Explorer to crash after Windows/IE Update

We have some users on Windows 8.1 where the latest updates, potentially the latest Internet Explorer 11 update, have created a scenario where every time they load specific Power BI reports the browser crashes. The updates happened over the last week for them. Works fine in Chrome for them.

Most of our users are on Windows 10 now, but IT won't be able to upgrade these users to Windows 10 for a few months out.

Has anyone experienced the same issue? The report that is crashing doesn't have a large data model but it is complicated consisting of a composite model as well as a lot of bookmarks and lots of visuals and filters. However it is pretty efficient and only takes a a second to load the Imported data and only about 3 or 4 seconds to load the Direct Query data which is on a different page.

Tried clearing crash, rebooting IE, rebooting computer and upgrading PBIX file saving under May update and republishing app as well as updating to May gateway to no avail.

Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does it happen on a report that has a line chart WITH DATA MARKERS?

If so, probably the same issue I reported to MS and have a ticket open on. Affects pre-win10 using ie11. Happens after you install kb4498206 (or similar may-ish update). only current workarounds are to remove update (yuck), use chrome, or remove the data makers from the line chart.

cratylus
Regular Visitor

I'm also having the same issue, @jwademcg and I can confirm what @Anonymous posted.  Only happens with me when I use IE11 on my Win7 machine with reports that have line charts with data markers.  Hopefully MS will fix this soon.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The official answer was this was an IE bug. There is a fix being pushed out via windows update for IE. I can't find the actual WU number at the moment (think it was june or july rollup), but the fix specifically mentions fixing "line charts with markers in powerbi." My infrastructure team pushed the update to some test workstations and it worked.

As an interim solution, we were directed to install chrome. In an enterprise as large as mine, this was not a quick fix.