Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Repeated Prompts to Sign In

For the last two days, I'm repeatedly presented with the following message in Power BI desktop asking me to sign in, even though I am already signed in. I am signed in to Power BI desktop to a "Work or School account" that is different to own my organisational account. As I'm a consultant I often work in multiple accounts per day and am rarely logged into my own organisational account.

Adescrit_0-1688462806876.png

If I click on "Work or school account" (the bottom option), and then sign into an account, I will be signed into Power BI Desktop but the message prompting me to sign in will re-appear.

If I click on the "X" to close the message, it will re-appear. If I do this 7 or 8 times the message prompting me to sign in will finally disappear. However when I move to a new Power BI Desktop window (a different pbix file) the issue will repeat. I'm prompted to sign in, even though I already am signed in, and I need to click on the "X" 7 or 8 times.

My colleagues have reported experiencing a similar issue / bug.

Hi  all,

There has been internal feedback from engineers about this issue and it will be fixed in a future release, no definite ETA at this time.

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

Comments
CMangesh
Regular Visitor

I am also facing the above issue i.e. poping up of sign in window, multiple times whenever open the Pbix file.

Every time, I cancel it or even complete the sign in process, still sign in window appears.

The same issue is repeated while publishing the same file at Service.

I am using latest version of Power BI Desktop(Sept 2023).

I am working on two projects at a time & using two PBI Service accounts alternatively.  

Could that be the reason ? As I was not having this issue earlier.

cassidy
Power Participant

@v-xiaoyan-msft where are we at with this issue?  It's still present in Sept version

Adescrit
Impactful Individual

Hi @v-xiaoyan-msft 

In the October release of Power BI, this issue has taken a slightly different form but is still present and probably even more frustrating than it was before. This issue first occured when the integration between Power BI Desktop and One Drive was introduced, so something clearly isn't working correctly there.

Now the popout prompting me to repeatedly sign-in is impacting whatever application I have active at the moment it appears. (whilst typing this message for in Chrome for example, I've been interrupted by the pop-out box from Power BI Desktop prompting me to sign-in causing Chrome to freeze until I've interracted with the pop-out.

With some files I also find that the pbix file simply crashes (closes completely) regardless of whether I sign-in (despite already being signed-in) or try to click the X to close the multiple prompts to sign-in. I'm reliant on Power BI to do my job and struggling to do that right now.

KarenGrube
Helper I

I have the same issue, and it is TRULY ANNOYING!  Every time I open a report, save a report, or publish a report I get prompted to sign in AT LEAST TWICE!  Come on, guys.  This is getting ridiculous.

GWerling
Advocate I

Hi All,  I reported this same type issue back in June:  May 2023, June 2023, and now July 2023 prompts sig... - Microsoft Fabric Community. In September @DivingJoen  posted a comment on my issue thread to try the following: 

Workaround was creating an entry in the registry under: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Power BI Desktop. When adding "DisableWam" as DWORD with value 1 it worked beautifully. Kudos to Microsoft Support for providing us with that temporary workaround (issue is expected to be solved in future iterations of PBI Desktop).

This so far has resolved my issue of multiple logins.  I am no longer prompted multiple times to login when I first open a report on a device I have to RDP into.  It does seem to take a few tiks to fully open any report, but I am not prompted for login anymore.

Many thanks again to @DivingJoen for providing what worked for them!

Meli_F-cloud
Regular Visitor

Hi all,

Is anybody aware if this issue has been resolved?  If so, which version of Power BI Desktop?
We are still encountering a somewhat similar issue, BUT only on a Multi session Azure Virtual Desktop (AVD).  No issue on a Single session AVD.  We are using the September 2023 version.

Issue: Prompted to sign in twice in Power BI Desktop. Although we appear to be signed in after 1st sign-in, it loops and prompts us to sign in again, and we can't simply close the window, it won't close.  We are using 'Work or school account' to sign in with our organizational account and Windows password.  We must sign-in and go through MFA twice. For most users this ONLY seems to happen the 1st time we open Power BI Desktop after signing in to our Multi session AVD.  Some users have reported being automatically signed out of Power BI Desktop after an idle period, and then being prompted to sign in twice again.

Meli_Fcloud_1-1706022950275.png

Thanks!