Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Pull a column into values pane of Matrix

We are using the Analysis service data as a datasource, 

Recently I run into a problem which I cannot put a table column into the values pane, only the measures can be put into values pane, but before May, We can put the column into either rows or columns or values of the matrix.

Could you please recover this function?

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous, 

Which SSAS instance did you mean? Which Power BI desktop version did you mean that worked before? 

Based on my test in Power BI desktop version 2.80.5803.1061 64-bit (April 2020), if it's a live connection to a SSAS tabular instance, it's able to add a column to matrix visual values bucket. 

q2.PNG

If it's a live connection to SSAS cube, it's not able to add any column to the matrix visual values bucket both in Power BI desktop version 2.80.5803.1061 64-bit (April 2020) and 2.79.5768.1082 64-bit (March 2020). 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I noticed this issue was caused by the Calucaltion Groups in the SSAS model, I may think this is the disadvantage of Calculation Groups.

When I create a Calculation groups in the SSAS model, the Parameter DiscourageImplicitMeasures was set to false, then all the measures in the model cannot be pulled to the value pane in the Martix visual.

quote from Microsoft Document:

"Calculation groups work with explicit DAX measures. In this example, Sales is an explicit measure already created in the model. Calculation groups do not work with implicit DAX measures. For example, in Power BI implicit measures are created when a user drags columns onto visuals to view aggregated values, without creating an explicit measure. At this time, Power BI generates DAX for implicit measures written as inline DAX calculations - meaning implicit measures cannot work with calculation groups. A new model property visible in the Tabular Object Model (TOM) has been introduced, DiscourageImplicitMeasures. Currently, in order to create calculation groups this property must be set to true. When set to true, Power BI Desktop in Live Connect mode disables creation of implicit measures."