Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI Paginated Report stopped working this week

Hello,

This week, a Power BI paginated report that was working, stopped working and is throwing the below error:

There was an error communicating with Analysis Services. Please verify that the data source is available and your credentials are correct. The specified query is too complex to be evaluated as a single statement.

This report is connected to a Power BI dataset, the query was written in DAX and we have used the RSCustomDaxFilter function. 

The report was working in our three environments (dev, uat, prod) and has stopped working in all three. 

Additional information:

The report and the dataset are in the same workspace.

The reports works without any issue in the Power BI report builder

I have tried to remove all RSCustomDaxFilter, but faced the same error message

The parameters of this filter are also queried from the same dataset, the values of the parameters are loading. The error occurs when running the report (tablix) query

Hi @SamB7 ,

Thanks for your reply! I understand. The cause of this issue should be located in the steps of simplifying your report. No matter what it is, I think it must have simplified the queries in some extents including data amount or calculations.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, In my case  I published the report in Power bi service. When I try to see all information this error appears, so I have to filter to see the data. Anyone knows why is this happen?

Thank you in advance.

v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @SamB7 ,

May I know what’s the data source of the dataset that you used to create your paginated report? Is the report that has the same name with the dataset working smoothly in Power BI service? Is it a data source needs on-premises data gateway? Have you ever checked in the dataset settings page to see whether you need update the credential?

In addition, if you simplify your query and then republish it to service, will you get same issue?

Best Regards,

SamB7
Frequent Visitor

Hello @v-cazheng-msft 

The data source for the dataset is an oracle DB.

The report that has the same name as the dataset is working fine.

Yes, It does use an on-premises data gateway.

Everything is fine on the dataset setting page.

I tried rewritting the query in MDX, got the same issue. However, much simpler paginated reports are working fine. I'm not sure that it is a query issue since it was working earlier (last tested on monday)

v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @SamB7 ,

Thanks for your reply! I understand. The cause of this issue should be located in the steps of simplifying your report. No matter what it is, I think it must have simplified the queries in some extents including data amount or calculations.

Best Regards,

SamB7
Frequent Visitor

Hello @v-cazheng-msft,

Thank you for your reply. However, this does not explain why would the report run (without any filter) from the report builder. In addition, the query is not too complex (no calculations). 

Thank you.