Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI Desktop "Recent sources" are not preserving recent nor pinned data sources after closing it

We are developing a connector for some of our costumers, we have received comments about that could be nice if there is a way to preserve the servers typed, so I was looking into the "Recent sources

I have found that the "Recent sources" menu in Power BI Desktop is not working (at least not as I expected), steps to replicate the issues:

• Open Power BI Desktop
  • Click on "Get Data"
  • Get data from any data source (In this example an Excel workbook) and load it into Power BI Desktop
  • Click on “Recent sources” in the “Home” section of the ribbon.
  • The “Most recent” displays the loaded Excel workbook as expected.
  • Click on “More…”
  • The “Recent Sources” modal dialog is displayed showing the Excel workbook.
  • Click on the pin icon to pin that source.
  • The recent source is now pinned and shown in the “Recent Sources” sub-menu under the “Pinned”.
  • Save the .pbix file.
  • Close Power BI Desktop
  • Open Power BI Desktop
  • Click on “Recent Sources” in the Welcome screen.
  • PBI Desktop displays a the “Recent Sources” modal with the message “There are no recent sources to display.”
  • Close it.
  • Click on the “Recent sources” button in the “Home” section, there are not any recent or pinned.

Open the previous saved .pbix file, try to se the recent sources, there are not any recent or pinned source.

Hi all,

Based on user feedback, updating to the latest version of Power BI solves this problem.

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

Hi @ECorona ,

Can you provide detailed version information so we can reproduce the issue? We'll get back to the product team as soon as it's acknowledged as an issue!
Thanks in advance!

Best regards.

ECorona
Frequent Visitor

Hello @v-xiaoyan-msft, I'm using the Version: 2.124.1805.0 64-bit (diciembre de 2023) but also is it pressent with the November and October versions (I did not tested with olders versions). 

This is video showing the path to replicar the issue: https://youtu.be/YDBybEDLYz8?si=iP5cxNqxmC3V1vRd

ecetesviz

I have the same issue, it was a freshly installed (not updated) PBI Desktop. 

Version: 2.124.1554.0 64-bit (December 2023)

Colleagues with the same version but updated PBI, the recent sources works as expected.

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi all,

Based on user feedback, updating to the latest version of Power BI solves this problem.

Best regards.

Mycall65
Frequent Visitor

I'm sorry but it has not solved the problem.

My version is : Version: 2.124.2028.0 64-bit (December 2023)

I downloaded it from the store.

Still the message comes with no recent soures eventhough the report has been refreshed.

Mycall65_0-1707817402306.png

I'm linking to and importing data from SQL databases.

My colleague on WIndows 10 does not have this problem. I was recently updated to Windows 11 Pro with all the updates installed.
The version is: 10.0.22631 Build 22631

I hope you can help. 

AaronCurtis

I'm also having this issue.  win11 enterprise, version 2.124.2028 x64.

there is no newer version available.

maybe this is specific to windows 11, but not sure why it would be.

Pbix_is
Advocate I

Hi, I have the same issue: There are no recent sources to display.

Today I got the new desktop version Version: 2.126.927.0 64-bit (febrúar 2024), this wasn't fixed. 

My post from before:

(https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Desktop/There-are-no-recent-sources-to-display-my-recent-d...)

ECorona
Frequent Visitor

@Pbix_is I'm still facing the same issue, and I'm also using the Version: 2.126.927.0 64-bit (febrero de 2024), therefore the bug/issue still present. 

candidBeing
Regular Visitor

Adding that as of 6th March with a recently downloaded version of desktop, Version: 2.126.1261.0 64-bit (February 2024), the Recent Sources still are not saving the history of sources accessed.

Tested with Excel and SQL Server connection