Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI Desktop is behaving like different version over Remote Desktop

Hello,

I have installed Power BI Desktop on my laptop as well as on our remote server which we can access only via remote Desktop, but the app on remote desktop looks like it doesn't have all the updates which should be in given release.

I noticed this from April release forward. I am currently on June release on both my laptop and remote server.

On my laptop there is new light theme applied on the server it is not (see the screenshots).

Another issue I noticed in April release is new "single select" in slicers is not available when accessing the app via Remote Desktop.

Other issue I noticed in May release was that performance analyzer crashes every time I want to open it in Power BI Desktop running over remote desktop, but works just fine running on my local PC.

Power BI Desktop on local PCPower BI Desktop on local PCPower BI Desktop on remote serverPower BI Desktop on remote server

I already tried to uninstall the app from remote server and install it from scratch but it didn't help.

Main problem with this is that if I save some report on my PC (where I do most of my development for Power BI) and then copy this file on remote server (in case I am out and someone else needs to make an adjustment) that person might open it on remote server directly, but the app in there will say that the report was saved using different version of PBI and disable all features not supporting (this is regarding this new single select - radio buttons). 

Thanks

Matus

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous, 

I would suggest you create a support ticket to let engineers look into the issue on your side. 

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-qiuyu-msft 

Thanks, I did create service request and we manage to resolve it. Problem was that some older version was blocking the new installation. There was additional step needed during Uninstall and Install process and that was restart the server in between. And just to be on the safe side I removed every mention of Power BI on C drive (all tmp folders) as well as all registry regarding Power BI Desktop I found.

Matus