Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

New Card Visual reference labels struggling with Format String Expressions

I am working on a report that uses calculation groups. I have one calculation item to show absolute variation and another one to show percentage variation. These calculation groups have Format String expressions to control the display units and add some extra text in some places.

Upon using the new card visual, I've discovered that ANY measure that has internal values of decimal numbers fails to get formatted. This only happens in the Reference Labels section. Callout value seems to be working just as expected.

RubenSanchez_0-1702639462653.png

You can see in the example image above that the card on the left is showing the same number in both the callout and the reference label sections, but the number below shows the internal value of the expressions, instead of formatting it properly.

The card on the right shows the same thing but with absolute variation. As the internal value for this variation is a whole number instead of decimal, apparently it gets formatted just as the callout value above.

Extra information: BOTH the callout and reference label values are configured with Display Units = None.

I can only imagine that this is an issue with reference labels somehow.

Hi  @Anonymous ,

Are you using the latest version of Power BI Desktop? Please provide your version information or a sample pbix (be careful not to include sensitive information) to describe the problem.
I tried to do a simple test but it doesn't seem to reproduce the problem, any more information would be great.

Best regards.
Community Support Team_ Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi  @Anonymous ,

Are you using the latest version of Power BI Desktop? Please provide your version information or a sample pbix (be careful not to include sensitive information) to describe the problem.
I tried to do a simple test but it doesn't seem to reproduce the problem, any more information would be great.

Best regards.
Community Support Team_ Caitlyn

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-xiaoyan-msft ,

I'm using Version: 2.123.742.0 64-bit

I've prepared a very simple test report where you can see this happening. In the tables you can see the base measures working, then the same measures but with calculation groups applied to them. Dynamic formatting for calculation items work perfectly here.

Now, on the new card visuals, I prepared 2 cards: one with SumForWhole as callout and SumForDecimal as reference label, and the other one with SumForDecimal as callout and SumForWhole as reference label. When you use the slicer for selecting calculation groups, you can see how the callout values use the calculation item dynamic format but the reference label can't, but only when the measure returns decimal numbers.

RubenSanchez_0-1702890865232.png

I know it's a bit confusing but the test file is very simple, just explore the calculation items a bit and you'll see the configuration, and the error happening in the new card visual.

Download test file (GDrive link) 

Let me know if there is some way I can upload the file directly to the forum, I didn't find an option for this so I used the GDrive link.