Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Microsoft SQL: Execution Timeout Expired Error while refresh in Power BI Service

Hello, I have one report, which dataset is SQL Server based. When I start on-demand refresh or Schedule for that report in Service, sometimes it is completed, but sometimes it gives me an error like the below,
"Microsoft SQL: Execution Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding."
So, I have checked a few suggestions on that error here and I have applied also. Suggestions like, Adding Command Timeout at Source level in Power Query, and also I have added Execution SQL Error.pngSeconds in SSMS.
But after that also I'm facing this SQL Execution Timeout Error while Refresh, few times refresh was completed, but randomly it gives me this error.

Can anyone face the same error again n again randomly, and if you solved that? Please help me out with that Error.
Thanks.

Hi @Anonymous ,

By default, SSMS waits forever for a query to complete. If you get this error, this is because you have set a query timeout under Tools->Options->Query Execution->SQL Server->General->Execution time-out. You can also change it for the current window, by right-clicking and selecting Query Options from the bottom of the context menu. Set the time-out to 0 to wait forever.

For original post,you may refer to :

Execution Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding. - Microsoft Q&A

Solved: MS SQL server timeout - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best regards.
Community Support Team_ Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @Anonymous ,

By default, SSMS waits forever for a query to complete. If you get this error, this is because you have set a query timeout under Tools->Options->Query Execution->SQL Server->General->Execution time-out. You can also change it for the current window, by right-clicking and selecting Query Options from the bottom of the context menu. Set the time-out to 0 to wait forever.

For original post,you may refer to :

Execution Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding. - Microsoft Q&A

Solved: MS SQL server timeout - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best regards.
Community Support Team_ Caitlyn

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, @v-xiaoyan-msft .
But actually in SSMS that execution time-out that you suggest is already set at 0. we don't even touch that.

But still, we are facing this SQL Execution timeout again and again.

A few Days refresh is completed, but after a few days, it gives that error. for example, Out of 10 days, we completed our refresh in just 2 or 3 days only. remaining 7-8 days we are facing this SQL Execution timeout error.

If you have any other suggestions for the same error, please give us.
@PBICommunity  @support @PowerBIHasIssue 

catarina

Hi @Anonymous ,

Did you find a solution for your problem?

Ia am also facing this kind of issues with a lot of my reports in Power BI Services. And I cannot find the root cause.

I have checked the execution time-out in SQL, and it was set to '0', I did not touch that parameter.

HOwever I get this errors at least once a day for each report in power bi services.

Could it be related to my specific user?