cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In map visual, locations are wrongly mapped based on latitude & longitude in PowerBI

Hi All,

Earlier I used country and place in map visual. But it was not showing all places correctly.

So I used latitude & longitude of locations / places in map. But still the same problem prevails . Locations are still mapped wrongly in visual.

Eg: I have to mark port places in India. I created map based on latitude & longitude of ports in India.

I have attached file here.Map Visual based on Lat & Lon

Look "Western Ports of India" images. All ports in Latitude & Longitude map is showing in middle of sea region instead of seashore region. Why is this happening?

lat & lan 2.jpgWestern ports of India

Look "Mumbai Port" in latitude and longitude map. It is also showing in middle of sea region instead of seashore region.

lat & lan.jpgMUmbai port

Not only India, Most of the places are mapped to wrong location when I use latitude & longitude. How to overcome this issue?

By

Gnanasekar

Comments
Super Contributor

@Gnanasekar

I’ve reported it internally to Power BI Team: CRI 47645464
I’ll post here once I get any update about it.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Established Member
Status changed to: Accepted

Super Contributor

@Gnanasekar

I’ve got response from the Product Team.

Please make sure you are using a decimal number for lat/long. I attached an image where I draw black lines vertically through the points - it is obvious to me the lat/long values are being rounded to integers... Also, you cannot use text fields. The screenshot shows strings like "70 34' N" with a single-quote tick and letter "N", lat/long should be in decimal values and the Data Category should be set to Latitude / Longitude to hint to the system that they are lat long values for mapping.

In map visual, locations are wrongly mapped based on latitude & longitude in PowerBI_1.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert