Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Formulas jumping to different calculated columns and tables

I'd like to report an issue or bug I'm having with Power BI Desktop.

For about a month now, calculated columns come back with the error "there is already a column with the name xzy".

That was not actually the case, but I thought nothing of it because I could continue working.

Today though, a column formula moved or 'jumped' to another calculated column, replacing its formula.

This is on a calculated table.

Then, when selecting another calculated table, the formula moved / jumped to that table.

I'm needing to close without saving, which is frustrating.  Please help to get this resolved.

I copied the details of the error, below.

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Timestamp:
2024-03-01T10:01:27.8685454Z

Local Time:
2024-03-01T12:01:27.8685454+02:00

Session ID:
599bee6b-7568-4353-bd93-9adb4ec641e7

Release:
February 2024

Product Version:
2.126.927.0 (24.02) (x64)

Stack Trace:
Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeler.ModelerException
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeling.Engine.DataModel.Utilities.DataModelExtensions.ThrowIfNotFound[T](T foundItem, String name, String parentName, String grandparentName)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeling.Engine.DataModel.Utilities.DataModelExtensions.GetExpected[T](INamedMetadataObjectCollection`1 list, String name, String schemaName, String parentName, String grandparentName)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeling.Engine.DataModel.Utilities.DataModelExtensions.FindModelItem(IDataModel model, ObjectType objectType, String schemaName, String tableName, String itemName, String hierarchyLevelName, Boolean expected)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeling.Engine.SchemaChangeRoutingVisitor.Visit(DeleteItemSchemaChange schemaChange)
at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.ForEach(Action`1 action)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeling.Engine.SchemaChangeRoutingVisitor.Route(ModelChange modelChange)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeling.Engine.ModelingEngine.<RouteModelChangeAsync>d__15.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.Hosting.DesktopModelingHost.<>c__DisplayClass37_0.<<RouteToLocalModel>b__0>d.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Report.<>c__DisplayClass74_0.<<SynchronizeLooselyWithQueriesAsync>b__0>d.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Report.<SynchronizeLooselyWithQueriesAsync>d__73`1.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.Hosting.DesktopModelingHost.<RouteToLocalModel>d__37.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.ModelAuthoringRoutingService.<>c__DisplayClass19_0.<<RouteToLocalModel>b__0>d.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.ModelAuthoringRoutingService.<RouteToLocalModel>d__19.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IntellisenseHostService.<>c__DisplayClass66_0.<<ApplyModelChangeCore>b__0>d.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<HandleAwaitableAsyncExceptions>d__1.MoveNext()

PowerBINonFatalError:
{"AppName":"PBIDesktop","AppVersion":"2.126.927.0","ModuleName":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeling.Engine.dll","Component":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeling.Engine.DataModel.Utilities.DataModelExtensions","Error":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeler.ModelerException - ColumnDoesntExistInModel","MethodDef":"ThrowIfNotFound","ErrorOffset":"443","ErrorCode":""}

OS Version:
Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.22631.0 (x64 en-GB)

CLR Version:
4.8 or later [Release Number = 533320]

Peak Virtual Memory:
71.4 GB

Private Memory:
966 MB

Peak Working Set:
1.15 GB

IE Version:

User ID:
231f20b9-bdb3-43f4-ad76-101e851a4e8a

Workbook Package Info:
1* - en-GB, Query Groups: 0, fastCombine: Disabled, runBackgroundAnalysis: False.

Telemetry Enabled:
True

Model Default Mode:
Import

Model Version:
PowerBI_V3

Enabled Preview Features:
PBI_sparklines
PBI_scorecardVisual
PBI_NlToDax
PBI_fieldParametersSuperSwitch
PBI_backstageUI
PBI_setLabelOnExportPdf
PBI_dynamicFormatString
PBI_oneDriveSave
PBI_oneDriveShare
PBI_newCard
PBI_buttonSlicerAuthoring
PBI_generateMeasureDescriptionsButton

Disabled Preview Features:
PBI_shapeMapVisualEnabled
PBI_SpanishLinguisticsEnabled
PBI_qnaLiveConnect
PBI_b2bExternalDatasetSharing
PBI_enhancedTooltips
PBI_angularRls
PBI_onObject
PBI_useModernPublishDialogs
PBI_gitIntegration
PBI_tmdlInDataset
PBI_EimLessElevatedUser
PBI_modelExplorer
PBI_daxQueryView
PBI_aiNarrativesVisual
PBI_qnaImproveLsdlCopilot
PBI_visualCalculationsAuthoring

Disabled DirectQuery Options:
TreatHanaAsRelationalSource

Cloud:
GlobalCloud

DPI Scale:
100%

Supported Services:
Power BI

Hi  @N24PBI ,

Based on the Error “There is already a column with the name XYZ” ,it usually occurs when you’re trying to create a new column with a name that already exists in the table1. It can also happen if you have a reference to this column in some calculations within other datasets, causing other tables to also throw an error related to this column.

To resolve this, ensure that you change the name of this referenced column in all measures/calculated columns.

You may also refer to this thread:The name is already used for a column on table - Microsoft Fabric Community

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi  @N24PBI ,

Based on the Error “There is already a column with the name XYZ” ,it usually occurs when you’re trying to create a new column with a name that already exists in the table1. It can also happen if you have a reference to this column in some calculations within other datasets, causing other tables to also throw an error related to this column.

To resolve this, ensure that you change the name of this referenced column in all measures/calculated columns.

You may also refer to this thread:The name is already used for a column on table - Microsoft Fabric Community

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

N24PBI
Frequent Visitor

Thanks Caitlyn,

The error is a false positive, as it shows up whenever I click away from any calculated column in any report.

Maybe my laptop is buggy, I'm not sure.

mvalenzuela
Regular Visitor

Hi!

I'm experiencing the same or a similar issue with DAX calculated tables: the problem is that whenever I try to interact with the table (in the Table panel), either to view some data, select a column, or anything else, the program replaces the column formula with the formula of the table. This sometimes gets even worse, and I just can't click on the table without this happening.

A couple of coworkers are experiencing the same problems.

Kiwi_Kyle
Regular Visitor

Same issue, when you click from a calculated column it reports the error, if you try to click from a calculated column to a calculated table it ruins the table by some how over writting the formula bar with what was in the last calculated column you were in. I cant do any step without hitting save because no way to un do this

JM_Garcia

I have been having the same issue and I am at my wits end!  It only happens on calculated tables. Once it pastes and overrides the column formula, there is no way to get what was previously there without closing, reopening, and hoping I saved enough to catch most the changes I made.