Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

File contains corrupted data when trying to Open Power BI (October 2018)

Details of Error Message when trying to open up Power BI:

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Error Message:
File contains corrupted data.

Stack Trace:

at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipIOEndOfCentralDirectoryBlock.FindPosition(Stream archiveStream) at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipIOEndOfCentralDirectoryBlock.SeekableLoad(ZipIOBlockManager blockManager) at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipArchive..ctor(Stream archiveStream, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Boolean streaming, Boolean ownStream) at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipArchive.OpenOnStream(Stream stream, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Boolean streaming) at System.IO.Packaging.ZipPackage..ctor(Stream s, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Boolean streaming) at System.IO.Packaging.Package.Open(Stream stream, FileMode packageMode, FileAccess packageAccess, Boolean streaming) at Microsoft.Mashup.EngineHost.Services.LibraryFile.PqxFile.Open(Byte[] bytes) at Microsoft.Mashup.EngineHost.Services.LibraryFile.New(Byte[] bytes, LibraryFile& result, Exception& error) at Microsoft.Mashup.EngineHost.Services.LibraryService.LibraryInfo..ctor(LibraryService service, ILibrary library) at Microsoft.Mashup.EngineHost.Services.LibraryService.GetLibraryInfo(ILibrary library) at Microsoft.Mashup.EngineHost.Services.LibraryService.EnumerateAndLoadLibraries() at Microsoft.Mashup.EngineHost.Services.LibraryService.Reinitialize(ILibraryProvider[] providers) at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UiExtensibility.UiExtensionHost.LoadModules(Trace innerTrace, IList`1 binaryModules, ILibraryProvider[] providers) at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UiExtensibility.UiExtensionHost.Activate(IList`1 libraryExtensions, IApplicationPaths applicationPaths, ILibraryProvider internalProvider, String remoteExtensionsUrl) at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UiExtensibility.UiExtensionHostManager.RegisterAndActivateUiExtensionHost(UiExtensionHost uiExtensionHost, IList`1 libraryExtensions, IApplicationPaths applicationPaths, ILibraryProvider internalProvider, String remoteExtensionsUrl) at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.PowerQueryExtensionsLoader.<Load>b__0() at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass7.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__6() at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

Stack Trace Message: File contains corrupted data.

Invocation Stack Trace: at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace() at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace, String exceptionMessage) at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.GetStackTraceInfo(Exception e) at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.ReportException(IWindowHandle activeWindow, IUIHost uiHost, FeedbackPackageInfo feedbackPackageInfo, Exception e, Boolean useGDICapture) at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass1.<HandleException>b__0() at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e) at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action) at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

Comments
rush
Helper V

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft

I am still trying to fix the windows issue which I had no luck yesterday.

Some error messages from the event viewer:

The description for Event ID 25 from source MSOLAP$AnalysisServicesWorkspace329004027 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

msmdsrvi.rll

The Open Procedure for service "WmiApRpl" in DLL "C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiaprpl.dll" failed. Performance data for this service will not be available. The first four bytes (DWORD) of the Data section contains the error code.

Unable to read the "First Counter" value under the usbperf\Performance Key. Status codes returned in data.

Unable to open the Server service performance object. The first four bytes (DWORD) of the Data section contains the status code.

Not sure how to go about it based on the solution they gave me.

_selam
Regular Visitor

Hi @rush,

I faced the same issue and I fixed it by following the steps below. 

1. Uninstall PowerBI desktop
  2. Go to C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Local\Microsoft 
  3. Delete the PowerBI Desktop folder 
  4. Install the september verion PowerBI

Regards,

Selam

ChrisClintonUK
Regular Visitor

Hi All,

Same thing has happened to me, when opening Power BI "File contains corrupted data" - I'm not even opening any file, I'm simply clicking the program shortcut:

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Timestamp:
2018-10-22T12:39:12.8788341Z

Local Time:
2018-10-22T13:39:12.8788341+01:00

Session ID:
8313dcfd-9ee3-4c0a-ae10-7254d947245c

Release:
October, 2018

Product Version:
2.63.3272.40262 (18.10) (x64)

Stack Trace:
   at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipIOEndOfCentralDirectoryBlock.FindPosition(Stream archiveStream)
   at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipIOEndOfCentralDirectoryBlock.SeekableLoad(ZipIOBlockManager blockManager)
   at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipArchive..ctor(Stream archiveStream, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Boolean streaming, Boolean ownStream)
   at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipArchive.OpenOnStream(Stream stream, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Boolean streaming)
   at System.IO.Packaging.ZipPackage..ctor(Stream s, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Boolean streaming)
   at System.IO.Packaging.Package.Open(Stream stream, FileMode packageMode, FileAccess packageAccess, Boolean streaming)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.EngineHost.Services.LibraryFile.PqxFile.Open(Byte[] bytes)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.EngineHost.Services.LibraryFile.New(Byte[] bytes, LibraryFile& result, Exception& error)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.EngineHost.Services.LibraryService.LibraryInfo..ctor(LibraryService service, ILibrary library)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.EngineHost.Services.LibraryService.GetLibraryInfo(ILibrary library)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.EngineHost.Services.LibraryService.EnumerateAndLoadLibraries()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.EngineHost.Services.LibraryService.Reinitialize(ILibraryProvider[] providers)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UiExtensibility.UiExtensionHost.LoadModules(Trace innerTrace, IList`1 binaryModules, ILibraryProvider[] providers)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UiExtensibility.UiExtensionHost.Activate(IList`1 libraryExtensions, IApplicationPaths applicationPaths, ILibraryProvider internalProvider, String remoteExtensionsUrl)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UiExtensibility.UiExtensionHostManager.RegisterAndActivateUiExtensionHost(UiExtensionHost uiExtensionHost, IList`1 libraryExtensions, IApplicationPaths applicationPaths, ILibraryProvider internalProvider, String remoteExtensionsUrl)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.PowerQueryExtensionsLoader.<Load>b__0()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass7.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__6()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

OS Version:
Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 (x64 en-US)

CLR Version:
4.7 or later [Release Number = 460805]

Peak Virtual Memory:
3.29 GB

Private Memory:
159 MB

Peak Working Set:
194 MB

IE Version:

User ID:
bf615cf2-afa4-490a-a00b-393a4a08089d

Telemetry Enabled:
True

DPI Scale:
100%

Supported Services:
Power BI

_selam
Regular Visitor

Hi ChrisClintonUK

Did you face the error after you installed the October version. If yes, I faced the same problem and solved it with the solution I posted above. 

RazvanSer
Frequent Visitor

Hi All,

I have the same problem with the October 2018 update. After update, I'm not able to load the same database that I used before update.

If I add data to the existing report and just press refresh it works, but if Iwant to use the same database in another PBI file I got the error "File contains corrupted data".

From what I see the problem is that all the files from my PC have some sort of encryption...but why I was able to work with these files until Oct update and now I'm not.

Thank you

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all, 

It looks like the same error occurs when you perform differnet actions, open existing pbix files created before, click on Power BI desktop shotcut, modify existing pbix files created before to get another data. 

@rush@tjeee Please share issued pbix file with us if possible. You can upload it to your OneDrive or Dropbox, send the share link to me via private message. 

@ChrisClintonUK Please click on the PBIDesktop.exe on the installation directory to see if you are able to launch the Power BI desktop. 

q1.PNG

@RazvanSer From your private message, I see the issue happens when you load any excel file, please share these issued Excel Files with us. You can upload it to your OneDrive or Dropbox, send the share link to me via private message. 

As you mentioned you are able to load data from these issued Excel files in previous Power BI desktop, do you remember the desktop version? 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

RazvanSer
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft,

Thank you for your replay.

After some digging, I found out that all excel files have NASCA encryption and I think this is the reason why is not working. However, I was able to work with these files with September version of PBI.

Unfortunately, I don't have the install kit of that version of PBI and I couldn't find it online to download it...maybe if somebody have this version or know a place from where I can download it, I will be greatfull.

Regards,

Razvan

becerrajl

Hi,

I'm facing the same porblem.

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Error Message:

Stack Trace:
at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipIOEndOfCentralDirectoryBlock.FindPosition(Stream archiveStream)
at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipIOEndOfCentralDirectoryBlock.SeekableLoad(ZipIOBlockManager blockManager)
at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipArchive..ctor(Stream archiveStream, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Boolean streaming, Boolean ownStream)
at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipArchive.OpenOnStream(Stream stream, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Boolean streaming)
at System.IO.Packaging.ZipPackage..ctor(Stream s, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Boolean streaming)
at System.IO.Packaging.Package.Open(Stream stream, FileMode packageMode, FileAccess packageAccess, Boolean streaming)
at Microsoft.Mashup.EngineHost.Services.LibraryFile.PqxFile.Open(Byte[] bytes)
at Microsoft.Mashup.EngineHost.Services.LibraryFile.New(Byte[] bytes, LibraryFile& result, Exception& error)
at Microsoft.Mashup.EngineHost.Services.LibraryService.LibraryInfo..ctor(LibraryService service, ILibrary library)
at Microsoft.Mashup.EngineHost.Services.LibraryService.GetLibraryInfo(ILibrary library)
at Microsoft.Mashup.EngineHost.Services.LibraryService.EnumerateAndLoadLibraries()
at Microsoft.Mashup.EngineHost.Services.LibraryService.Reinitialize(ILibraryProvider[] providers)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UiExtensibility.UiExtensionHost.LoadModules(Trace innerTrace, IList`1 binaryModules, ILibraryProvider[] providers)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UiExtensibility.UiExtensionHost.Activate(IList`1 libraryExtensions, IApplicationPaths applicationPaths, ILibraryProvider internalProvider, String remoteExtensionsUrl)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UiExtensibility.UiExtensionHostManager.RegisterAndActivateUiExtensionHost(UiExtensionHost uiExtensionHost, IList`1 libraryExtensions, IApplicationPaths applicationPaths, ILibraryProvider internalProvider, String remoteExtensionsUrl)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.PowerQueryExtensionsLoader.<Load>b__0()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass7.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__6()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

Stack Trace Message:

Invocation Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace, String exceptionMessage)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.GetStackTraceInfo(Exception e)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.ReportException(IWindowHandle activeWindow, IUIHost uiHost, FeedbackPackageInfo feedbackPackageInfo, Exception e, Boolean useGDICapture)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass1.<HandleException>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

becerrajl

Hi,

Did you solve the problem? I have just intalled the last version downloaded from the site (desktop).

It opened by the time of installation and then stop it, giving me the message of corrupted file.

Kind regards,

Jorge

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

@RazvanSer There is a Power BI desktop September installer, please install it on your side to see if it works: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o8s8hqgcrpemac8/PBIDesktop_x64%20Sep.msi?dl=0. 

@becerrajl Does the issue occur when you launch Power BI desktop or open existing pbix files which are created in previous version? If it's pbix files, please upload it to your OneDrive or Dropbox, send the share link to me via private message. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu