Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DirectQuery for Power BI Datasets - Preview Feature Error

While testing out the new DirectQuery for Power BI Datasets preview feature, I receive an error that prevents me from using it. I have the preview feature enabled and am using Power BI Desktop version 2.88.802. My coworker has the latest version and has the same issue.

I have no measure tables, only some tables that have had all non-measures hidden.

First, within Power BI Desktop, I connect to a Power BI dataset as normal, which creates a live connection to it. Next, I try to bring in another Power BI dataset. It asks me to convert the existing connection to DirectQuery, I click OK. I also click OK on the privacy warning. It appears to successfully bring in the 2nd Power BI dataset. However, now all of the explicitly defined measures in both models have a variation of the following error message and can't be used: "Something's wrong with one or more fields: (Spend Measures) Addressable Spend: Cannot find data source 'DirectQuery to AS - Spend & Savings Data Model' in function 'EXTERNALMEASURE'."

I found that all measures get this error message even if the 2nd data source I attempt to bring in is an imported Excel or text file, it makes no difference.

Comments
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

@gmedlin 

I tried the latest version (2.88.1144.0) and it seems to work fine for me. Besides, You may keep an eye on the Awareness.

Deadgarth
Regular Visitor

@v-chuncz-msft 

Thanks for the information. I have just tried version 2.88.1144.0 as well, but I still get the same error on all of my measures: "Something's wrong with one or more fields: Cannot find data source 'DirectQuery to AS' in function 'EXTERNALMEASURE'."

I've checked the limitations of this preview feature and also this forum, but have not found others having this exact issue except for my own coworkers. I'm wondering if you could have someone help me with this as it might have something to do with our tenant?

Would really like to test this feature out the way others have been describing.

gmedlin
Regular Visitor

@v-chuncz-msft 

I have some additional info on this issue I'm experiencing. The error I mentioned getting on all measures occurs right have the model switches the connection over to DirectQuery from Live mode. So, I connect to a single Power BI Dataset, then select to make changes to the model. I accept the dialogue options to convert to DirectQuery and right after that all measures now have the error icon with the error text I've posted previously.

I experience this issue with Power BI Datasets that themselves are importing their data from a SQL Server and are setup with a gateway and scheduled refresh.

I have not experienced this issue with Power BI Datasets that are importing their data from other sources such as Excel and do not have a gateway.

gmedlin
Regular Visitor

@jeroenterheerdt - Do you have any idea what's going on with this or is there more information I could provide? I triple checked the limitations on the blog post for this feature and confirmed I shouldn't be hitting any of them on these datasets I'm connecting to. The database is not being provided through a parameter and the Power BI datasets' import source is a SQL Server hosted on Azure.

jeroenterheerdt
Employee

@gmedlin can you share some screenshots? feel free to send me a private message.

gmedlin
Regular Visitor

@jeroenterheerdt  - Will do, thanks!

van1111
Frequent Visitor

@jeroenterheerdt  We are experiencing the same issue with one of the dataset after converting the storage mode to DQ from Live Connect. I sent you a private message with screenshot as well. Thank you!

gmedlin
Regular Visitor

@jeroenterheerdt & @van1111 

Any luck on this issue? Wondering if the next desktop release might fix it or if there's something unique about our environments that's causing the problem.

jeroenterheerdt
Employee

We have fixed some issues that caused this error, so I am hopeful it will be fixed for most of you. Please install the next Desktop release when it is available to you and retry. If it still persists, please leave a message.

gmedlin
Regular Visitor

@jeroenterheerdt & @van1111 

I can confirm this issue was fixed for me as of Feb's Desktop release. Thanks!