Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Column / Calculated Table Rename Bug

Recently / within the last one or two weeks while modifying reports, I have run into a bug where I'm modifying a calculated column and try to save the changes and I get an error saying 

"Rename Column

The name 'X' is already used for a column the table 'y'. Choose a different name." 

I'm modifying any column that already exists, so I cannot save any changes on that column. 

Even worse: if I go to the formula for a calculated table, I try to change or leave the formula box without making any changes, and it gives me this same error about the table name, and it breaks the table completely. I have to quit the application and reopen from my last save. 

This doesn't happen every time I open a report, thankfully, but it's happening to me maybe once every other day randomly - I haven't been able to figure out what specific set of circumstances is causing it to happen unfortunately. 

Hi  @Hazenm 

We have seen on the internal platform that other engineers have reported this issue and submitted it. 

The engineers on the product team are now aware and will do their best to resolve the issue. I will update here if there is any progress, so please be patient!

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

Hi  @Hazenm 

We have seen on the internal platform that other engineers have reported this issue and submitted it. 

The engineers on the product team are now aware and will do their best to resolve the issue. I will update here if there is any progress, so please be patient!

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

RDLV

Hi,

Any update on that please ? I'm still having that issue with last 2.126.1261.

Do you know also what is the previous version to use as workarround ?

Regards,

KaanY
Frequent Visitor

We're seeing exactly the same. Very frustrating. Is occuring with brand new tables, tables created in Power Query or DAX, before the cache is cleared, and after. There also appears to be a side effect whereby a simple update to a calculated column then takes 2 plus minutes to apply, which makes working on a report unworkable.

Josh_Boj
Advocate I

This is extremely frustrating!  When I'm in a calcualted table and this happens, it replaces the DAX of the calculated table to that of the calculated table and I lose everything.  Just like @Hazenm I have to close and start from my last save.

Please get this fixed!

Kiwi_Kyle
Regular Visitor

Also if you have part of a table that is a calculated table and part is calulated columns, if you click from the calculated columns back to the calculated table it is overwriting the formula bar in the calculated table and creating a new area somehow

GCourtens

same issue for me, not practical

Kiwi_Kyle
Regular Visitor

Previous monthly updates to Power BI Desktop and the Power BI service - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

I had to uninstall and install the November version for now, previous version history is in this link

Ramanji
Frequent Visitor

Really frastating, the movement I click on any calculated column or calculated table, it will replace the formula with previously selected column formula, then entire table and related tables will get the errors, need to fix on top priority. 

ChrisHolton
Regular Visitor

Just to add to this thread - I am also getting this.

Started after the Feb update, just tried and still happens in the March update.

I have had to uninstal and re-instal the December version which works as expected.

Caeruleus

I'm also getting this same error. Extremely frustrating and creates a lot of wasted work hours when tables are broken.