Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Choice of Y axes scale for small multiples of line chart is terrible

As can be seen below, the choice of the Y-axis scale for small multiples of a line chart is unusable. Here the maximum value for any of the individual charts is less than 700,000.  Yet the choice of scale for the y-axis is 20 million.

small multiples.png 

Hi @paul_sanders 

May I know whether you have made any change to the format of Y axis? I can repro this issue when I set the End of Y axis with Sum function as following screenshots showed.

vcazhengmsft_0-1642147093966.png

vcazhengmsft_1-1642147093968.png

If I clear the function or change the function to Maximum, then values on Y axis will be regulated according to the values in the fields.

vcazhengmsft_2-1642147093970.png

vcazhengmsft_3-1642147093974.png

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

Comments
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @paul_sanders 

May I know whether you have made any change to the format of Y axis? I can repro this issue when I set the End of Y axis with Sum function as following screenshots showed.

vcazhengmsft_0-1642147093966.png

vcazhengmsft_1-1642147093968.png

If I clear the function or change the function to Maximum, then values on Y axis will be regulated according to the values in the fields.

vcazhengmsft_2-1642147093970.png

vcazhengmsft_3-1642147093974.png

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

paul_sanders
Frequent Visitor

Thanks Caiyun. 

No, I hadn't changed the format of the Y axis - it was left as Auto.

I think I have found the issue. The axis field is Month on a date table, and there is a Blank value (this comes from the blank value added from the relationship to the date table).  This blank value isnt shown on the visual at all - it is simply ignored. However, it does effect the scaling, **but only when small multiples are used**

So if I remove Region from the small multiples, then looking at the data

- there is a Blank month with value 76M

- the largest 'real' month is 20m 

The visual then does NOT show the blank data, and scales correctly ie ignoring the blank date, and scaling using the data actually shown i.e Y access scales to 20m

When I add Region to the small multiples, then looking at the data

- there is a Blank month with value 60M for one of the Regions

- the largest 'real' month for one of the Regions is 13m 

The visual then again does NOT show the blank data, but scales differently ie INCLUDING the blank date. so although the Blank is still not shown on the visual, and therefore the largest value is shown on the visual is 13m, the visuals scaling to 60m given that blank. 

So might still be considered a bug, as seems wrong to treat the blank value thats not shown differently bettween the normal and small multiple case, but certainly more limited in when will occur.

Thanks