Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Cannot connect to Azure Databricks

When trying to connect PowerBI Desktop to Azure Databricks using Azure Active Directory authentication, I receive the following error: 

Unable to connect

We encountered an error while trying to connect.

Details: "ODBC: ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][ThriftExtension] (14) Unexpected response from server during a HTTP connection: SSL_connect: certificate verify failed."

In Fiddler, I found that it's trying to connect to de-users-preview.sqlazurelabs.com:443 but the connection fails with a 502 error: DNS Lookup Failed. In fact, when trying to navigate to that url, it cannot be found.

Comments
v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi

PowerBI Desktop and Gateway can only use certificates in the System Trusted Cert Store. This may require administrative rights to the system. Make sure the certificate has been added.

Also consult this reference: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/ssl-security-error-with-data-source/

If you are still facing the issue, please install ODBC driver publicly available on the same machine and try to make SSL connection through that. For example in case of Impala data source: Install driver from https://www.cloudera.com/downloads/connectors/impala/odbc/2-6-0.html Install it on the system. Go to Start -> ODBC data sources (64-bit) Configure ODBC DSN with SSL options as shown below:

7.JPG

Regards,

Lin

swettstein

I'm not even sure what certificate it's trying to verify. When navigating to the cluster on a browser and inspecting the certificate chain, the root certificate is present in my Trusted Root Certificate Authorities for my computer. Is it trying to verify that certificate or a different one?

I tried the ODBC connection and it still failed with the same error.