Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

BUG: Web connector times out with lots of webpages in Power BI Desktop

I have the 'Web page connector infrastructure update' preview enabled. In a report, I'm using the web connector to download data from a lot of different web pages. (The only data source I'm downloading from in this report are web pages.)

In Power Query Editor, there were no issues getting a preview and seeing the data from the tables from the different web pages. However, when I tried to apply the changes, I always get a 'We timed out waiting for the web page to load' errors trying to load data from the different web pages.

Given there were no issues in Power Query Editor, I should not be getting these timed out errors when trying to apply the changes. There should not be a limit to the number of web pages you can use with the web connector. (In the same report, I previously was able to get data from 3 different web pages with no issues.) If there is a limit on the number of web pages you can use the web connector with, this needs to be documented.

Hi @PeterL 

If you turn off  "Web page connector infrastructure update" , you connect to web pages in Power Query and apply the data , does this error occur ?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi @PeterL 

If you turn off  "Web page connector infrastructure update" , you connect to web pages in Power Query and apply the data , does this error occur ?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

PeterL
Regular Visitor

If I turn off "Web page connector infrastructure update", the behavior is different. I don't get the timed out errors but I get a bunch of other errors because some columns were not found. Going into Power Query Editor, I found that some of the tables were not properly extracted from the web pages. (When I turn "Web page connector infrastructure update" back on, there are no issues with table extractions.)

If it is helpful, I can share my Power BI report. Just let me know where/how to share. All I'm trying to do in this report is to extract data about the different Azure VM offerings from the documentation.