Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BUG: Shape Map - Legend not working

Hi - I'm having problems using shape map. When I use the legend field, the entire map shows as the first value.

For example, using the US election data table from this page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_elections,_2016 

PBI_ShapeMapIssue1.PNG

All the states are coloured in the first colour (DEM), although that is clearly not correct.

However, if I add a column chart based on the same data and use that to cross-filter, this filters the states correctly:

PBI_ShapeMapIssue2.PNGpbI_ShapeMapIssue3.PNG

This shows that the map is working, and the data is linking correctly to the map keys. It's just when there is no filter, the whole map is coloured to the first option.

I'm on the latest download. 

Comments
chhu
Frequent Visitor
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@chhu

I can repro the same issue as you. I’ve reported it internally to Power BI Team: CRI 29411960

I’ll post here once I get any update for it.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@chhu

The current design of shape map requires a value in color saturation in order to correlate category and series to get the result you wants. Filled map has already been upgraded to better handle this case and does not require a value. Power BI Team do plan to improve this experience (bringing it on par with filled map) before shape map comes out of preview, but until then, this is the design.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Delivered

melmwood
Regular Visitor

This laughable bug still exists at the end of 2022 - shape map still can't decipher between multiple Legend values to saturate. And the idea that "filled map" can is crap as the filled map is a BS full-scale atlas-style map that is the opposite of a clean look. Nearly six years and the idiots at Power BI continue to miss on the basics and make Excel continue to be a notably better product than this waste of time.

alastairherd

It took me a while reading this thread to figure out but if you are getting the issue with this format:

alastairherd_0-1699365756915.png

Then you need to fill it in like so:

alastairherd_1-1699365811993.png