Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

powerbi an exception occurred due to an on premise service issue

I am accessing one SQL Server DB using direct query.  This report works fine for varying lengths of time but then stops working with the error AN EXCEPTIONS OCCURRED DUE TO AN ON PREMISE SERVICE ISSUE.  We checked if there was an SQL activity (backups etc.) going on to interrupt it but none.

We run a subscription report to track when it fails and there is no consistency. 

When we refresh the report it usually starts working again, sometime we have to go and refresh the connections or on premise gateway.

Any ideas?

Hi  @is001902 ,

If the SQL Server is under heavy load or if there’s a long-running query, it might cause timeouts. You may try monitor the SQL Server’s performance and check for any slow-running queries.
Sometimes, spikes in the number of connections also lead to issues.You could try refreshing the credentials in the data source settings of the semantic model.

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi  @is001902 ,

If the SQL Server is under heavy load or if there’s a long-running query, it might cause timeouts. You may try monitor the SQL Server’s performance and check for any slow-running queries.
Sometimes, spikes in the number of connections also lead to issues.You could try refreshing the credentials in the data source settings of the semantic model.

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

hs006

Hi I have a similar issue with all my reports on one particular workspace. We did the following check but none of them worked

1. Check Gateway connectivity and service account access to server
  2. Using different Service account to check issue the account or not
  3. There weren't any spikes on SQL Monitor

But If report is taken over by the user then we do not have any issues like exceptions has been thrown due to on-premise issue / Invalid credentials.

is001902

I have checked all of the above,  I have even reduced down to just one query, using indexes etc to ensure maximum efficiency,  eliminated all other pages on the report and still it behaves the same way.   My next step is to try using imported data instead of direct query.  Not sure what to do next. @v-xiaoyan-msft   @hs006 

Thanks, Gregor

gjross78
Frequent Visitor

I am getting the same error with a Dataverse connection.

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support

Hi  @is001902 ,

Based on the above information, this issue is complex which may need to collect log files for further troubleshooting. Since community support engineers don't have that access, I would suggest opening a Support Ticket. If you are a Power BI Pro or Fabric licensee, you can create a support ticket for free and a dedicated Microsoft engineer will come to solve the problem for you. 
It would be great if you continue to share in this issue to help others with similar problems after you know the root cause or solution.

The link of Power BI Support: Support | Microsoft Power BI

For how to create a support ticket, please refer to How to create a support ticket in Power BI - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn