Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Difference in values - Calculated Column vs. manual calculation

I have a calculated data [simple calculation]

The value/outcome is different when i use different methods

1. Create a calculated column and pull it onto the visual

2. Use Page filters on the visual

Ideally outcome value of both methods should be same but its different.

If anyone from support team can connect with me i can explain in detail since i cannot share the data here.

Thanks in advance.

Hi @SBezgoan ,

That doesn't seem to see the problem, all I need is your data, a sample would be fine.

Best regards,
Community Support Team_ Scott Chang

Comments
v-tianyich-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi @SBezgoan ,

Are there any other filters applied, if not, please provide me with more information, such as your calculated column expression.

Best regards,

SBezgoan
Regular Visitor

Hi,

Yes there was one filter on industry - same filter used in both scenarios.  since its confidential i cant share any files.  it would be helpful if on a quick call.  pls support.

Regards,

Srilatha

v-tianyich-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @SBezgoan ,

We're sorry, but due to security policies, we can only help you through the forums.Please try to include the filter content in the context using ALLSELECTED or ALLEXCEPT.

ALLSELECTED function (DAX) - DAX | Microsoft Learn

ALLEXCEPT function (DAX) - DAX | Microsoft Learn

Best regards,

SBezgoan
Regular Visitor

ok im trying to explain this as much as possible.  Both of the below scenarios are resulting in different output that varies sometimes as much as 6 - 8%  which ideally should not be the case. 

Eg:

Scenario 1:  Filters on page - If Industry="Retail" and Column x ="abc" and Column y = "xyz".  Output of a specific column onto visual is 2%.

Scenario 2 : If Industry="Retail" created a new calculated column with formula {if Column x ="abc" and Column y = "xyz" show "123"}.  In this scenario created a calculated column with same details instead of using them as filters on page unlike Scenario 1.  Output of a specific column onto visual is 6%.

How is this possible and which Scenario is resulting in right output?  

v-tianyich-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @SBezgoan ,

I think both expressions are correct, for the first one you have fewer filtering conditions and more data acquired, so the percentage is smaller. For the second you acquire theoretically less total data, so the percentage is higher.

Best regards,

SBezgoan
Regular Visitor

Hi,

The issue is both are same - then there should be same output.  There should not be any deviation.  Also 2% and 6% are examples.  Pls suggest.

v-tianyich-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @SBezgoan ,

Please provide samples that map out the structure of your data to better solve the problem for you.

Best regards,

SBezgoan
Regular Visitor

Hi,

As per my explanation.  Below are filters on my page.

Scenario 1:  S6, S7 column filters are used.

Scenario 2:  Same filteration is included into a calculated column and used as a filter here.

Both result into different Answers whereas its the same condition.

SBezgoan_0-1699942189305.png

v-tianyich-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi @SBezgoan ,

That doesn't seem to see the problem, all I need is your data, a sample would be fine.

Best regards,