Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Data Gateway Disabled when SharePoint List Exists in DataSet

I have a large data model in Power BI pulling from 3 web sources, a SharePoint list and an ODBC source which is where the majority of my data is stored. I wanted to use the Data Gateway for only the ODBC connection. The Data Gateway is setup correctly and is able to pull data from the ODBC souce if I only have the ODBC source in the data model. But as soon as I add a SharePoint list to the file sources, the Data Gateway is greyed out and is no longer working for the report.  

I tried to create a SharePoint connection on the Data Gateway but it doesn't have the option to use the OAuth2 authentication method and after some research I found that the SharePoint connector in the Data Gateway is for On-Premise SharePoint not O365 which ours is.  

I believe this is a program issue and should be fixed.  If a dataset in the model matches the name of the source in the Data Gateway, then it should use the Data Gateway.  If it doesn't match then it should connect directly to the data source without using the Data Gateway.

Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

After spending more time on this problem, what I have come to believe is that the Data Gateway is an All or Nothing solution. Either all data in your report needs to use the Data Gateway or none of it does. I may have missed this in the documentation but I don't remember ever hearing that before.

I personally think this is limiting to Power BI and should be fixed where the Data Gateway use is at the data source level, not the data model level.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

It's a known issue that the data gateway doesn't support oAuth based connections. Product team aware this issue and have started working the fix. Currently, you can utilize personal gateway to work around the issue. See: On-premise data gateway is not available for the combined dataset .

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Delivered

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Qiuyun Yu, 

That would explain the SharePoint issue, but it doesn't explain the web site issue.  I found that I had to have specific data sources created for the Data Gateway for each data source connecting to a website for it to work.  The sites do not use OAuth authentication but have an API key embedded in the URL.