Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Custom column data not displaying in visuals in web url but displays in PowerBI desktop

I am working on a PowerBI dashboard project and I am seeing some inconsistent issues between two seemingly identical copies of the dashboard.  On the original dashboard, I was able to create a custom column and apply it to the slicer and table visual.  The column data displayed correctly in PowerBI Desktop but when published to a web url, it resulted in an error on the two visuals that I updated but all other visuals displayed correctly.  I can make a copy of the dashboard in PowerBI Desktop, follow the same steps and publish to web and it works.  What could be the difference?

Hi, @mdrew 

It seems that there is no difference between these 2 operations. It may be the first time that there is a small problem with the Service. The second time, the web url can be generated normally, indicating that there is no problem with the operation. I will update the status of the issue to Delivered. If you have similar issues in the future, you can come back and update.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi @mdrew 

So what you mean is that, at the beginning, a custom column was created in Desktop and then published to the Service, and the web url was generated, and the corresponding view did not take effect. But copying the pbix file, then re-publishing it to the Service, and generating the web url again, will it take effect ?

Best Regards,

mdrew
Regular Visitor

Yes, that is correct.  I saved the pbix file with a new file name, published it and and then created the public web url and it's fine.  There seems to be no difference between the first pbix file and the second but the url previews with error in the original but is fine in the copy. 

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi, @mdrew 

It seems that there is no difference between these 2 operations. It may be the first time that there is a small problem with the Service. The second time, the web url can be generated normally, indicating that there is no problem with the operation. I will update the status of the issue to Delivered. If you have similar issues in the future, you can come back and update.

Best Regards,

mdrew
Regular Visitor

I am able to duplicate the issue.  The url of the original pbix file is working now.  It only errors when I add the custom column and use it in the slicer and table visuals.  I can make other changes and publish it and it's fine.  If I create a copy of the pbix file and create the custom column and add it to the slicer and table visual and create the url, it works great. No error.