Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Can be able to filtered data without using RLS?

In Power BI, have two tables: one for UsersData and one for CountryData.

The Username and Country columns can be identified in the UsersData table and the Country and CityName columns are in the CountryData table. The CountryData and UsersData tables are connected by using Country. Visualize the Country name and city in a table in the Power report view.

Requirement: When a user logs into the power bi service, he wants to see only the data related to the user. I looking for any suggestions to implement this scenario without using RLS.

rameshmadhubhas_0-1689614493845.png

Hi  @rameshmadhubhas ,

One way to filter it is to start with the default URL for the report, add the filter parameters to the URL, and then email them the entire new URL. 

Filter a report using query string parameters in the URL - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

URL filters are supported in some embedding scenarios and not in others.

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi  @rameshmadhubhas ,

One way to filter it is to start with the default URL for the report, add the filter parameters to the URL, and then email them the entire new URL. 

Filter a report using query string parameters in the URL - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

URL filters are supported in some embedding scenarios and not in others.

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

rameshmadhubhas
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-xiaoyan-msft 

This solution is not enough to reach my requirement.

Finally, I'm going to Power BI Embedded Analytics (Embed for your customers/ app owns data) solution for the analytics report.

I am looking for some approach to filter the data from the table level (I mean tables that include in Data view and Model view) without using RLS. As an example, I want to create a new table called UserCities, its data needs to be filtered by the user who logs into the power bi service.

I tried the following query, but it gives some errors.

UserCities = CALCULATETABLE(

DISTINCT(

SELECTCOLUMNS('Countries',

"Country", 'Countries'[Country],

"City", 'Countries'[CityName]

)

), Users[UserName] = USERPRINCIPALNAME()

)