Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

BUG: Use Azure GIT integration for PowerBi report projects and live datasets

Hello,

Setting:

• PowerBi desktop cloud (June release)

BernhardSpitzer_1-1695718414661.png

• PowerBi APP

BernhardSpitzer_0-1695718294643.png

• My PowerBi App Workspice is linked to an Azure Devops Repository

Following scenario:

• I have created a new report and linked a dataset which is stored in PowerBi APP workspace (this leads to a "datasetReference" byConnection)
  • I commited the changes and synched the commit to Azure Devops Repo
  • The Commit was visible in PowerBi App but a setting was changed by PowerBi App 
    • The PowerBi App changes the Report ("datasetReference" from "byConnection" -> "byPath")

BernhardSpitzer_2-1695718686302.png

• I synched this change to my repository and tried to open the report again. This action failed with following error:

BernhardSpitzer_3-1695718845928.png

Conclusion:

PowerBi Desktop is not able to handly dataset references by path?

It is not possible to use powerbi project with version control and dataset references?

Hi @BernhardSpitzer ,

Yes, you’re correct. Power BI Desktop currently does not support handling dataset references by path.

If you would like to suggest  feature improvements, you may vote the idea and comment here  to improve this feature. It is a place for customers provide feedback about Microsoft Office products . What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @BernhardSpitzer ,

Yes, you’re correct. Power BI Desktop currently does not support handling dataset references by path.

If you would like to suggest  feature improvements, you may vote the idea and comment here  to improve this feature. It is a place for customers provide feedback about Microsoft Office products . What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

BernhardSpitzer
Regular Visitor

Hi Community Support Team,

Thank you for your explaination. But could you also explain, why PowerBi Cloud change the setting automatically? It would also be fine for me too in case we can use the "datasetReference" from "byConnection".

But with current solution we only can use PBi-Project or PowerBi Cloud but not as a combination of both?